View Single Post
Old 12-01-2010, 09:38 AM   #15 (permalink)
Dr. Jerryrigger
EcoModding Apprentice

The Sh*t-Box - '99 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport
90 day: 27.81 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
I recently heard about that - ultrasonic welding, I believe. I have no information about though.
Well ultrasonic aside, polypropylene melts at 130–171C.
I've made some wax positives for casting and welding wax is quite simple with a soldering iron, though that was at around 90C. I used a light dimmer switch to control the temp.
For the poly it would be more difficult as it is far more sticky. But welding cloro would be far more tricky as it's so thin. Though if someone really wanted to it could likely be pulled off. Some sort of mold to hold the joint would be very beneficial. If that mold was then lined with wet paper towels it would prevent the outside from melting, and make it possible to build up a beefy slag on the inside.
Or a different method would be to heat both connecting surfaces and bond them. Maybe set up the joint, and then run a soldering iron between them, so that the weld is made 2in or less behind the iron.

These ideas all sound honorable in comparison to basic glue and mechanical fasteners. You can get some rather complex shapes by building a simple frame out of wood (or what ever you like) and a little bending and cutting