View Single Post
Old 12-04-2010, 01:48 AM   #224 (permalink)
LousMX5
EcoModding Lurker

I just finished getting through all 23 pages of this thread and the 100+ tips and saw very little mention of converting over to LED bulbs for DRLs, brake lights, marker lights, and even headlights (If you can afford them). I noticed a significant load via a drop in my idle speed that would occur in time with my blinkers and brakes as I watched my tachometer, representing additional load being put on the charging system. After converting all of my bulbs to LED (except headlights) I don't see the drops in idle speed at all and have netted at least half a point in mpg.

I will be attempting coasting with engine shut off on my next long trip down to sea level form the mountains of Colorado soon.

I also noted that the appropriate amount of acceleration isn't really addressed, I read somewhere on another forum re: pulse/glide that your acceleration needs to be about 2/3rds throttle for best results. That was because intact tracts are tuned for maximum efficiency with a significant amount of airflow, and "glacial" acceleration makes them inefficient. I've noticed a couple of extra mpg by using "spirited" acceleration over "glacial" acceleration since I learned that. I always wondered why my wife got better gas mileage in my old Miata than I did before I started really trying because she has always accelerated a little faster than most, but still not close to jackrabbit starts though.
You may want to add that to the pulse/glide tip and as another general fuel-saving tip.

YMMV
~Lou