Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

View Poll Results: Did you pick up any new tips from the list?
Yes 267 92.39%
No 22 7.61%
Voters: 289. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2010, 10:59 AM   #221 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

RSX2fast4mpg - '02 Acura RSX Type S
90 day: 38.22 mpg (US)

bubbatrucker - '98 Chevrolet K1500
90 day: 18.1 mpg (US)
The list is great and I've already implemented several things, but it seems like one of those things you need to re-read several times over a month. You can only really start two or three new things at a time.

One suggestion that I didn't see regarding air conditioning is selective use of the compressor. Sure, removing it entirely or keeping it off is the best alternative, but my driver's ed teacher in high school taught me to turn the compressor off while taking off from stop lights, going up hills, and avoid using it while idling. He also taught me it's practically free to use it while going downhill and decelerating.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-08-2010, 02:53 PM   #222 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Why not use it while idling? Might as well give the engine something to do if it's not moving the vehicle...

Old 10-08-2010, 04:46 PM   #223 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

RaceJeep - '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee (ZJ) 5.9 Limited
90 day: 13.62 mpg (US)
It adds load, which causes the engine to throttle up a little to compensate, increasing the idle fuel use.

Typical driving: Back in Rochester for school, driving is 60 - 70% city
Old 12-04-2010, 01:48 AM   #224 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I just finished getting through all 23 pages of this thread and the 100+ tips and saw very little mention of converting over to LED bulbs for DRLs, brake lights, marker lights, and even headlights (If you can afford them). I noticed a significant load via a drop in my idle speed that would occur in time with my blinkers and brakes as I watched my tachometer, representing additional load being put on the charging system. After converting all of my bulbs to LED (except headlights) I don't see the drops in idle speed at all and have netted at least half a point in mpg.

I will be attempting coasting with engine shut off on my next long trip down to sea level form the mountains of Colorado soon.

I also noted that the appropriate amount of acceleration isn't really addressed, I read somewhere on another forum re: pulse/glide that your acceleration needs to be about 2/3rds throttle for best results. That was because intact tracts are tuned for maximum efficiency with a significant amount of airflow, and "glacial" acceleration makes them inefficient. I've noticed a couple of extra mpg by using "spirited" acceleration over "glacial" acceleration since I learned that. I always wondered why my wife got better gas mileage in my old Miata than I did before I started really trying because she has always accelerated a little faster than most, but still not close to jackrabbit starts though.
You may want to add that to the pulse/glide tip and as another general fuel-saving tip.

YMMV
~Lou
Old 01-30-2011, 07:20 PM   #225 (permalink)
Water Fuel Designer

This may have been mentioned but as a cyclist, I am very in tune with vertical climb rates. Going straight up a hill is a lot harder than zig zagging back and forth across it, keeping your angle of inclination always less than straight up. Net energy used to get to the top of the hill is the same, but less force is required to keep your momentum. Use this technique on a 2 or more lane highway with no traffic, simply change lanes back and forth. As long as we're nitpicking....
Old 01-31-2011, 09:19 AM   #226 (permalink)
EV OR DIESEL

FarFarfrumpumpen - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS Premium

Quorra - '12 Tesla Model S P85
Send a message via AIM to dremd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farlander View Post
This may have been mentioned but as a cyclist, I am very in tune with vertical climb rates. Going straight up a hill is a lot harder than zig zagging back and forth across it, keeping your angle of inclination always less than straight up. Net energy used to get to the top of the hill is the same, but less force is required to keep your momentum. Use this technique on a 2 or more lane highway with no traffic, simply change lanes back and forth. As long as we're nitpicking....
I disagree.
On a cycle the rider performs best with a low load, where as in a normal gasoline car you want to keep the load high to reach a higher BSFC. That said, maybe in competition, the more miles traveled in the criss cross pattern would counteract the additional fuel used.
Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
6 speed ALH TDI Swapped in to a 2003 Jetta Wagon
Old 03-10-2011, 03:01 AM   #227 (permalink)
500 Mile Metro Traveler

'89 Dakota LB - blue - '89 Dodge Dakota V6 LE
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

'17 Fiat 124 - SunFiat - '17 Fiat 124 Spider Classica
90 day: 30.51 mpg (US)

'89 Metro - The Egg - '89 Geo Metro Base
90 day: 50.71 mpg (US)

'94 Alto - The Box - '94 Suzuki Alto Ce-L
90 day: 39.5 mpg (US)
i didn't read all 23 pages, so forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but i have a couple tips for the automatic trans equipped cars out there...

When the car is stationary, as listed on the 100+ tips, shutting off the engine is best, but if you are only stationary for under 10 seconds like a brief traffic signal or stop sign, idling in neutral is a more efficient alternative. Many fuel injected cars will artificially raise the idle speed for about 5 seconds after intial restart to prevent stalling, and that creates an enrichment cycle that will not be offset in less than 10 seconds of turning the motor off.

Also... some automatic transmissions (many fords) allow you to start from a stop in second gear if you place the shifter in "2" instead of D or OD. This was designed by ford as a way to prevent wheelspin in icy conditions, but it can also serve as keeping the rpms down when starting from a dead stop. (Note: not all transmissions when marked for 2nd gear will still give you 2nd gear only from a standstill)
Old 03-17-2011, 12:09 PM   #228 (permalink)
blueprintbill

Question Adding Window Tints

Is there any opinion / study as to the effects of window tinting on the reduction of A/C usage and consequent improved MPG ?
Old 03-17-2011, 12:24 PM   #229 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Canyon - '07 GMC Canyon 2wd regular cab
90 day: 24.95 mpg (US)
Anything that will keep you cooler (tinted windows, parking in the shade, beaded seat covers) will keep you in your 'comfort threshold' for longer, reducing A/C use.

As far as a study, that's a good question. I like to think of it like this: We all have different thresholds for the amount of discomfort we can tolerate before using the A/C. Any of the above techniques will keep you slightly cooler, and can prolong the amount of driving you do before opting for A/C.

I would be interested in finding some math on the topic. Something like: If the cost of tinted windows is T, and in the summer you save on average Xmpg by reduced A/C use, how long will it take to result in a net savings?

I've never had tinted windows, but I wonder if night driving is adversely affected.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:16 PM   #230 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder

Colorado - '17 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4 LT
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodak View Post

I've never had tinted windows, but I wonder if night driving is adversely affected.
You may not tint the viewing area of the windshield. Tinting anywhere else improves night driving as it cuts the intensity of headlights. All my vehicles have tinted windows, I love it.