Thread: Insight 4x4
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2010, 02:37 AM   #16 (permalink)
Hugh-Falls
EcoModding Lurker

RobertSmalls: Your photos are much appreciated. They are a lot better than what I have been working with. Thank you very much.

As far as I know, "photoshop" means that an existing photo has been tampered with in some way to make it appear to be something other than what it was when it was taken. I think the Poulsen motor was skillfully drawn or transferred on to a stock photo of a car.

Honda does not allow for much wasted space in any of their desgns. When Honda added the CVT version of the Insight, they had to find room for the transmission control module and they wound up placing it under an added lump on the passenger side floor. It may be just a Honda engineering tradition of tidiness.

My hope is that it is possible to find space for the pulley/sprocket by moving the tire/wheel out and lessening the clearance space both at the fender well side and at the fender skirt and by adding a wheel spacer. It may become necessary to modify the fender skirt which is plastic and not a critical structural menber.

Also, there appears to be some space between the rear bumper cover and the rear aluminum body panel and it is in this space and below it in which the motor assembly on each side is to be located. Again, not much space but clear of any critical structural members that might interfere.

Your photos show the end of the tubular rear axle beam trailing arm into which an internally threaded plug will be welded for a Heim rod end. One end of a connecting link between the trailing arm and the motor assembly will be achored there. This link will maintain a near constant distance between drive and driven pulleys for a near constant belt tension.

Last edited by Hugh-Falls; 12-07-2010 at 02:51 AM..