View Single Post
Old 04-21-2008, 12:57 PM   #19 (permalink)
IndyIan
EcoModding Newbie

Parachute - '03 Chevrolet Tracker LX
90 day: 28.55 mpg (US)

Peon - '95 Plymouth Neon Highline baby!
90 day: 31.39 mpg (US)

Slocus Wagon - '06 Ford Focus SE
I have a 2003 chevy tracker/suzuki vitara(same truck). We bought it because it was the only new vehicle left that had a 4cyl engine and what I'll call real 4WD with a transfer case, 2wd high, 4wd high, and 4wd low range. We use all 3 options often especially in the winter.

The good parts about 4wd is that it works very very well in slippery conditions, occaisionally our driveway is sheer ice and we can maintain speed on the 10% slope. 4wd also acts like anti lock brakes, unless you lock up all four wheels its impossible to lock one wheel or even one axle.

The bad part about 4wd is that it usually raises the centre of gravity of the car and driveline losses. 4x4's usually have more ground clearance and the engine is mounted higher to get it above the front axle, add the extra axle turning plus the transfer case and being rear wheel drive results in alot more friction even when you're in 2wd. So the 120hp tracker gets 9L/100km on the highway. Not stellar but there are alot of people driving 4wd trucks that would love to get that mileage.

Thought I would chime in with my experiences.
Ian