View Single Post
Old 12-12-2010, 02:57 PM   #116 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Wow! That upper grille block rocks! Here are some observations from today's ride (city driving around 50 km/h, some highway at 60-70 km/h):
The outdoor temperature was around 0-1°C, light drizzle. When leaving home the coolant temperature was pre-warmed to 40°C. After the first 10km from home the coolant temperature was stable at the usual 78°C (my normal temp, rarely more), then 2-3 stop lights and I was on the highway (70 km/h). Suddenly I noticed the temperature was 93°C! I never get more than 82-84°C after some stop & go and/or overpasses before the highway. When I slowed down the temperature dropped very slowly (much slower than usual) to about 88°C.

Also, intake air temps are way up: Usually they are 2-4°C above ambient, but today they were 15°C above! I'll add that my intake air temperature sensor is before the turbo, so opening the lower grille block's intercooler side won't change the reading. One day I'll have to put a temp sensor before the intake manifold to see how much of a difference blocking/unblocking the IC makes.

It looks like the new grille block's real advantage is not just blocking the radiator, but keeping air out of the engine bay.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread