View Single Post
Old 12-13-2010, 12:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
NachtRitter
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teco760 View Post
hello there great thread, i was wondering though, if u live in california and you buy a 92-95 civic vx that is out of state does that mean it wont pass CA smog test because of the fed ecu & 5 wire o2 sensor? also y is it that w/ the 92 all u need is the ecu and w/ your 94 its a bit more tricky? also if with a out of state 92 civic vx do you think with a CA ecu it will pass CA smog?

thanks,

AL
AL ...

Sorry I missed your question. It is my understanding that you wouldn't be able to bring a non-Cali VX into Cali and get it registered. The emissions sticker would prevent you from doing so, regardless of the ecu in there... a smog shop wouldn't even touch it. Also DMV checks for that sticker, so even if you got a smog shop to give you a passing cert, the DMV wouldn't accept it. There are a few exceptions to the rules (for instance, military); check Before Buying a Vehicle From Out of State - Be Sure You Can Register It in California FFVR 29 for details.

With the 5-wire O2 sensor of the '92s, it should be just a matter of swapping the ECU since the harness is already in place. That's why it's easier to get a Fed ECU into a '92 than into a later VX.