View Single Post
Old 12-13-2010, 03:12 PM   #118 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
Did you spot any effect on FE ?
Can't say anything about FE during the last month other than "It sucks!" I'm lucky if I'm below 5.0 l/100km when I pull back into the driveway. It's because of a combination of the car being more or less frozen (pull the hand brake and it sticks for 10km), snow tires, snow everywhere, and the geometry (toe) of my front wheels being off. I've got to get the latter fixed before a longer trip comes up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
Try to make a gap in the grille block, or make some ducting to get the cold air to the intake, as the higher intake temps are not good for FE.
After the engine warms up I open the IC's part of the lower grille block, and that shouldn't contaminate the radiator with cold air now that the two are fenced off. But the AIT sensor is before the turbo and IC, and I wonder how the ECU handles that? I mean, does the intercooler undo what the turbo did, or does the ECU see 17° pre-turbo, but the air that makes it to manifold is 5°C, or maybe 25°C? The 1.6HDIs with an air doser/IC by-pass valve have a second temperature sensor, post IC, so that may help the ECU control combustion more efficiently. All the more reason to find and install one, but since my ECU wasn't programmed for one, then it probably won't be able to use/control it. Swapping an ECU from an engine with the air doser won't work, since those engines also have a DPF, and knowing how much trouble having a DPF is (not counting cleaner emissions, of course), I can't imagine what kind of thrills the ECU will sponsor if it can't find the DPF

If I do find a cheap working air doser, then I'll fool around with it manually. Then maybe a newer ECU and a DPF emulator? Let's not get carried away...

EDIT: Maybe a new, simpler air intake?

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread

Last edited by Piwoslaw; 12-14-2010 at 09:50 AM..