View Single Post
Old 12-14-2010, 02:49 PM   #35 (permalink)
COcyclist
Aero Wannabe

TDi - '04 VW Golf
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 53.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennelson View Post
i have been using a real simple half-tonneau on the truck much of the time.

The only trouble with it is that it doesn't keep the rain and snow off the other part of the bed!

I work with enough valuable tools and gear that I sort of need some type of locking cap. If I am going to have a cap anyways, I would like a cool aerodynamic one!
I just started reading this thread and I have struggled with how I might do this on my seldom driven S-10. I need to keep snow, rain and leaves out of the bed. Inspiration! What if I were to build a telescoping tonneau? The front half could slide back over the rear for access to the bed or tall items. The back half could be mounted to the bed rails. This would leave me the visibility and much of the versatility of the truck and still shed rain and snow. I'm thinking coroplast over a contoured OSB framework.

I hope you find the time do do your fiberglass top but life gets in the way sometimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. Mechanical friction increases as the square, so increasing speed requires progressively more power.