View Single Post
Old 12-14-2010, 06:36 PM   #34 (permalink)
JacobAziza
Master EcoModder

Big Orange Work Truck - '83 Ford F-250
90 day: 27.54 mpg (US)

Jessica's - '04 Toyota Matrix
90 day: 41.21 mpg (US)

Ninjette - '01 Kawasaki Ninja EX250R
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
There is safety margin from the sidewall pressure, but it varies with manufacturer, manufacturing process and tire to tire. I don't know where you get your confidence in that much pressure over the limit, but I do not share it; I think you are being reckless. Where did you get the burst data? Certainly NOT from the manufacturer, which would be the one source you might be able to trust.
"over-inflation almost never causes tire failure. The standard tire is inflated to about 30 to 35 pounds per square inch. Under hot weather and highway conditions, the temperature of the air inside the tire rises about 50 degrees. That increases the pressure inside the tire about 5 psi. The burst pressure of a tire is about 200 psi."

Car Talk

"Most new or undamaged medium radial truck tires can withstand three to four times the recommended pressure before bursting. In fact, the rim usually fails before the tire. ITRA has conducted several burst strength tests on new and used medium radial truck tires with special reinforced rims. The tires were pressurized with water. Most recently, three new tires and 13 used tires were "burst tested" with the lowest pressure burst recorded at 300psi and highest at 540psi for an average of 420psi"

At what point will a truck tire burst from overinflation?

I assumed the low "max" pressures were about liability, but it turns out manufacturers don't even set those numbers. They have nothing at all to do with tests of individual tires or what the manufacturer thinks they should be set to. The Tire and Rim association sets the numbers, universally, for a given size tire and weight range, independent of the individual tires construction

Tire Tech Information - Tire Specs Explained

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
A few months ago I returned home just as my neighbor pulled into his driveway. It was cold (around freezing) with some rain and sleet, and he yells to me: You rode your bike? In this weather?!?

So the other day we both returned home at the same time again, only now the weather is warm, sunny, with no wind. And I yell to him: You took the car? In this weather?!?
The Following User Says Thank You to JacobAziza For This Useful Post:
Piwoslaw (12-15-2010)