View Single Post
Old 12-14-2010, 08:20 PM   #71 (permalink)
darcane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
I don't think you understand what driving is like with a stop sign on every corner and traffic lights and traffic virtually everywhere you drive. It requires constant braking and shifting.

I like driving a manual. I don't particularly like automatics, they are just more practical and economical in terms of less maintenance for my environs. Hills have little or nothing to do with it. But needing to shift constantly wears out a clutch, due to unavoidable and relentless use.
I know exactly what you're saying... Gridlocked traffic, start, stop, start, stop, repeat. We have plenty of it here. I'm just saying you're doing it wrong.

If you're on the brakes, you probably sped up too much. If you are accelerating a lot, you're probably using the brakes too much. Try to time your coasting so that the car in front of you starts moving before you get to it.

Shifting doesn't really use up the clutch, slipping the clutch does. You do this mostly when you are starting from a stop. If you keep your car rolling, you have no need to slip the clutch and you will still have good clutch life.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods