View Single Post
Old 12-16-2010, 07:58 PM   #312 (permalink)
3-Wheeler
Master EcoModder

AlienMobile - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
90 day: 80.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarhighway View Post
....have you considdered experimenting with a dorsal fin? if i interpret your view of the situation correctly you assume the cars handling has remained stock even with the tail and therefore not an issue to be adressed...
Hi Lunar,

Yes, I am very glad that the tail has not moved the center of pressure too far rearward, and in fact the handling of the car in sidewinds seems to be the same as before.

Why is this important?

My biggest concern with the tail is making sure it continues to stay on the car. There were several posts by other EcoModders that had items coming their cars at speed, only to alarm the drivers behind them.

The tail has proved strong enough to withstand 60 mph sidewinds at this point which is a very good thing.

As far as making a fin on the back, this does give me pause, as I'm not sure that I would want to bother tuning this to get the right balance fore/aft.

Secondly, if the fin were large enough in area, what is the possibility that it would also force the car off the road if the sidewinds were high enough and I was still running over slick ice?

On the other hand, if someone else would like to go through the effort and build a tail with a large fin I would certainly follow their progress with an open mind.

Jim.

Last edited by 3-Wheeler; 12-16-2010 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: add the word "fin"