View Single Post
Old 12-16-2010, 08:14 PM   #314 (permalink)
3-Wheeler
Master EcoModder

AlienMobile - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
90 day: 80.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
...Low speed understeer is preferred by carmakers selling to drivers that might freak out in an oversteer condition.
Personally, I would prefer neutral steering in sidewinds.

Back in the days of rear-wheel drive cars, I used to really enjoy mildly "power sliding" the rear end of the car with a light touch on the gas pedal in the turns with snow on the ground. So in the this case, oversteer was preferred.

As you know, front wheel drive cars simply go straight and loose all steering if the front wheels are going faster than the car in loose conditions. Dry pavement is a whole other matter.

Quote:
...With Jim's tail,I'm pretty sure there's separation under there and wake pressure ( vacuum ) is no doubt communicating forward under the tail,but I suspect that there is so much pressure bleeding between the flanks and underside,that a pressure moment arm,as in race cars, cannot take form. Tufting in that crucial area would tell us a lot.
I tend to agree that the rear of the car has a lot of flow separation, since the underside is way past the ideal of 4° taper or so.

There should also be minimal lift/down force from wind approaching the car from the sides, as there are sharp creases on the top and bottom surfaces to break-up attached air in those locations. This is by design.

Quote:
....Thinking out loud, I would be tempted to construct as deep a rear wheel fairings as approach/ramp/and break-over would permit,which in addition to streamlining the wheels,would help with the COP as well....
Thanks for the confirmation AeroHead, as when the spats are added next year, I will keep your comments in mind. This is certainly nice to know!

Jim.
The Following User Says Thank You to 3-Wheeler For This Useful Post:
richtate (12-17-2010)