View Single Post
Old 12-19-2010, 04:28 PM   #20 (permalink)
jason1973tl
Prototype builder

Big Vic - '03 Ford Crown VIctoria LX
90 day: 21.92 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoteach View Post
The leaf with limited range is msrp at $32,780. Limited range, probably going to tank and be the most unsuccessful ever, ever, ever. Just saying. Seriously, would anyone be willing to pay $8,000 more and have an engine and unlimited driving range? Nope, that is why the cruze, I mean volt, will be unsuccessful. And, after all these downfalls, the volt shares a platform with another vehicle, damn those profit (or limited loss) mongers. I am sure that the Leaf is a completely unique platform, along with the prius, the insight, and all the other vehicles on the market. My thoughts, they should have let the companies tank. Chrysler, tank (the first time), Chevrolet, tank. We definitely dont need insolvent companies sucking off the gov teet.
While I agree with you about letting failing companies fail, I have to disagree about the Leaf.

I have already heard of one of the first owners getting a range in excess of 100 miles without using hypermiling techniques. That kind of range is more than twice my daily range that I need. And to boot, the cost to recharge is equal to paying 40 to 50 cents per gallon for gasoline. Not to mention the fact that an electric car is almost maintenance free compared to an I.C.E.