Thread: Eaarth
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2010, 06:23 PM   #247 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmarcus View Post
I believe the scientist. I know it doesn't matter to some here. My arguement is "what if you are wrong?"

If you are wrong, global warming could be a real threat, and if severe enough could threaten extinction of some to many (or all?) species on our ONLY planet.

If the scientists are wrong we'll have "wasted" money building more efficient transportation, less polluting industries, spent more time walking or biking on short trips, carpooled or limited the number of trips unneccesarily to save gas (and money). Etc, etc, etc..

I know it's an over simplification of the problem. But where we can easily lower CO2 emmissions-we must (and why not?), where it is hard to lower-we must try and where it seems impossible-we should try something...
What if you are wrong ?

The implications of what this movement wants is not just a little less car use here, a car pool there. Efficiency and saving money is good - ecomodder good I would suggest.

The full implication of the kind of CO2 reduction program envisaged will affect every aspect of your day. Consider every interface you have with energy. Its not obvious - think everything you consume, from toothpaste to petroleum - they are not unrelated. Think also the food you buy and where you buy it and how you get there. And how do you keep it ? What if you couldn't preserve it in your fridge and had to consume it on the day of purchase ? Maybe you could grow some. Maybe not in winter when the snow is thick on the ground or if you live in a city ?

What about when you are sick, think about the medicines you need. How are they made, how are they researched, tested ? Now think of every one of those costing about 2-3-400% more. Not because it really does, just because someone has decided to tax the perceived CO2 produced by those things ?

Well, you have a choice - you can vote them out.

Now imagine you live in the developing world and your life is already marginal. Now the items you have to buy, note - not choose to buy, cost 2-3-400% more. What are you going to do ? You can't just car pool or turn the heating down a bit.

You probably don't have a vote.