View Single Post
Old 04-23-2008, 09:42 AM   #22 (permalink)
zjrog
Ecomod noob

ZJ - '95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Upcountry
90 day: 20.57 mpg (US)

Neon - '03 Dodge Neon SE
90 day: 33.46 mpg (US)

S'Crew - '02 Ford F150 Supercrew XLT
90 day: 16.4 mpg (US)

Ranger - '90 Ford Ranger
Last 3: 28.02 mpg (US)

Not the Jeep - '03 Dodge Neon SE
90 day: 34.11 mpg (US)
DPoV, my own experiences with 4WD and AWD bear out that 4x4 on the road in snow is twitchy at best. I'm glad my transfer case allows me AWD as well. 4x4 Fulltime is equal to AWD, allows the front and rear axles to spin at differrent speeds. 4x4 Parttime locks the front and rear together which can make slippery corners interesting. A locking diferential compounds the Parttime problem, as the locker will not allow slippage between the wheels. Limited Slip differentials are a bit better (I have one in the rear of my Jeep), but in snow and ice can make the rear almost as squirrely as a locked diff.

So, if it is snowing and the roads are NOT cleared, I'm Fulltime. If I'm in deep snow on or off road, I'm in Parttime.

As to why 4x4 guys don't like AWD? Mostly because so many SUVs only have AWD, not true 4x4. If you have an SUV and it doesn't have a low range selection, you have an open diff or viscous coupling between the axles. That and some of the hardcore 4x4 guys equate AWD and FWD and minivans in the same grouping. Simply, each drive system has its place.

And yes, I wish I could unlock the front hubs. But the entire front drive assembly is always rotating in my Jeep. Even in just RWD. SO I will never get DPoV mileage. And to convert his RWD ZJ to 4x4 will only had about 200 pounds. Not a massive difference. The difference in weight is made up with the slightly heavier front axle assembly (he currently has a tube/beam axle which is heavier than you might think), and the transfer case and lever and driveshaft.