Thread: Eaarth
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2010, 01:14 PM   #272 (permalink)
endurance
Master EcoModder

RSX2fast4mpg - '02 Acura RSX Type S
90 day: 38.22 mpg (US)

bubbatrucker - '98 Chevrolet K1500
90 day: 18.1 mpg (US)
Personally, I used to be a big AGW believer basically because as a geology student (for a while) it was so obvious that the planet was getting warmer relative to the ice age we were in 10k years ago. Looking at the geological evidence of retreating glaciers and a shrinking arctic ice sheet seemed like a no brainer. But I've done enough research to feel less comfortable with the Anthropomorphic part of GW. I don't know if humans are contributing to climate change or not.

However, while I was doing some personal research in 2008 (still in full AGW believer mode), I came across a bigger problem, Peak Oil. After seeing the overwhelming evidence to support Peak Oil (far more evidence than we'll have for AGW in the next 20 years), I figured what the hell is the point of focusing on AGW. Our lives are about to change forever over the next 5-20 years as more and more people fight over a more difficult to acquire resource. In modern agriculture oil equals food. In the modern economy oil equals economic growth. In modern life oil equals our social fabric.

So why bother worrying about whether humans are causing global warming or not? The focus should be on building more self-sufficient, energy independent lifestyles that will help you and your family as changes come, and if it just so happens to reduce your carbon footprint, well that's just a bonus.

The Following User Says Thank You to endurance For This Useful Post:
tumnasgt (12-28-2010)