View Single Post
Old 12-29-2010, 12:24 AM   #25 (permalink)
Jim-Bob
Junkyard Engineer

Super-Metro! - '92 Geo Metro Base

$250 Pizza Delivery Car - '91 Geo Metro Base
Team Metro
90 day: 43.75 mpg (US)

Fronty the wonder truck - '98 Nissan Frontier XE
To take off the timing cover, you will need to pull both the crank pulley and the water pump pulley. There is a nut in the middle, 2 bolts on the bottom, 2 bolts on the top and a few more down the sides with one being next to the dipstick bolt and under the water pump pulley. All of them will be 10mm. When I serviced my cam seal I think it took me 30 minutes to get it all disassembled ( to give you an idea how long it should take). You should have already degreased and pressure cleaned the engine bay before you got to this point because it will make it MUCH easier to work on. No doubt the engine bay is probably a real grease pit due to neglect and cleanliness make it much easier to work on these things.

I'll also say that even if the engine needs a rebuild, don't give up on your Metro. $5 a gallon gas is predicted by 2012 and it will be a real lifesaver when it gets that expensive.
No green technology will ever make a substantive environmental impact until it is economically viable for most people to use it. This must be from a reduction in net cost of the new technology, not an increase in the cost of the old technology through taxation

(Note: the car sees 100% city driving and is EPA rated at 37 mpg city)

Last edited by Jim-Bob; 12-29-2010 at 12:33 AM..