View Single Post
Old 12-29-2010, 10:22 PM   #76 (permalink)
RobertSmalls
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls
I suppose my goal for 2009 was to get a more economical car. Mission accomplished. For 2010, I want to meet my project goal of 70mpg overall while exceeding the speed limit. That's 32% over EPA Combined, which was easy in the Subaru, but difficult in the Insight in the winter.
70mpg under these conditions is much harder than I anticipated, but I'm very happy with my fuel economy for 2010: 65.1mpg.

Quote:
It's too cold out to work on aeromods right now, but a rear view camera or two is in the cards for 2010, along with front-to-back underbody coverage. I also plan some temporary roof extensions for fuel economy competitions and road trips.
The rear view camera fell short of expectations, my underbody coverage is good but not complete, and the roof extension... well, I decided to go home instead of go big.

Quote:
Aeromods will provide the big gains on the highway, but electrical mods will help more on my commute. I intend to install MIMA_L, and, if possible, go PHEV with the tiny stock battery pack. If I plug in the Insight every night, I'll also run a 12V battery charger so I can deep-cycle my 12V battery, and maybe run a block heater. In any case, I'm going to electrify the garage once the ground thaws.
Check, check, check, decided against the block heater, and check. The electromods are great; the Insight is broken without them.

Quote:
I'm going to buy another Insight, gut it, install a nuclear thermoelectric generator (like NASA uses for deep space missions) in the cargo hold, and a steam engine driving the front wheels through the Insight transmission.
Turns out any gains were offset by the extra mass (thermal and kinetic) of this setup.