View Single Post
Old 01-05-2011, 04:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
darcane

Quote:
Originally Posted by endurance View Post
I think 20mpg is realistic since you have the 4.8L engine, but not with any city driving. That 4800# is a lot of iron to get moving from a dead stop. Given the percentage of your commute that's city driving, you're doing pretty dang well. I have a 98 with a 5.7 and I'm thrilled when I can get it over 17mpg (which only happens on highway tanks). Then again, I haven't filled it up in over a month since it's our third vehicle. When we do drive it, it's loaded with weight or it's deep snow. Sadly, the best thing you could do to save gas is pick up a used Metro/Civic/Prius for your commute. Obviously I have no clue why you drive a truck, so it may not be an option, but if it is, it'd probably save you $800/year in fuel.
I've had several tanks in the mid 19's, so I'm almost there. It is a challenge though. I'm sure I could get over 20 if I only drove hwy miles, but that's not something I ever do unloaded.

Normally, I commute in the truck in the winter months and a motorcycle when it warms up (March-Oct). I also use the truck for truck things (which are all the low points in my fuel log...). This last year, I've had to drive it a lot more since my motorcycle was stolen and never recovered and I've been having problems with the cheap replacement motorcycle I bought. Hopefully I'll get that going soon and can ride all summer.

Mike

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods