View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 04:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
darcane

The Corolla had a sprung door and a busted timing belt, so I got it for cheap. Ae86 Corollas are highly sought after and tend to go for much higher prices. I put on a new timing belt and got the engine running before I yanked it and sold it as well as the interior and some other parts I wasn't using. I ended up getting more for the parts than I bought the car for and found a free door (it's even red!).

The original engine is a 4AC (1.6L SOHC rated at 87hp). Too big, and not enough power for my class. To remedy that problem, I bought a 2001 Yamaha YZF-R1 race bike. It's modified somewhat and makes an estimated 160hp, nearly twice what I started with out of a mere 998cc.

Pure craziness, right? Well, before you throw me in the looney bin, I had some inspiration.

1) Legends/Dwarf cars are 5/8 scale cars that use motorcycle engines in longitudinal configurations. I am leveraging a driveshaft adapter made for these.
2) It's been done in regular cars too:
- http://www.situne.no/
- Home - HR Engineering
plus the ubiquitous Geo Metro with a CBR 600 that's been posted here before, although that is FWD.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	R1_01.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	7613   Click image for larger version

Name:	R1_02.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	7614  

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V