View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 08:47 PM   #135 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobAziza View Post
It takes a little while to get really comfortable, but now there is no hill, of any angle, where I need to use the e-brake to get started.
In fact, I sit at stop lights on hill with the engine off, press the clutch at the moment I hit the starter, and engage before I roll back more than a few inches (at most).
I don't think I really ever did learn to properly use a shifter, I drove one for about a month (a yugo) when I was learning to drive then the brakes locked and it was off the road.

My current car needs gas to go when on a hill so getting everything smoothly released without the ebrake on certain hills is rather impossible, it helps to have a grandma gear. The only thing I do differently than other people is that I release the clutch when the RPMs are almost on for the gear I select going up, down usually not as I can't seem to get that one right, but then again I rarely downshift (all or nothing).

Something else that pisses me is the fact my reverse seems like 3rd gear, why do I want to idle 10mph in R, I would rather have a nice LOW easy to use reverse so if I have to use it, I can just easy out on the clutch, sadly the only times I need to use reverse are when I have to back up a 45 deg incline, gun it while releasing I really REALLY don't like having to ride the clutch in R to keep from flying out and hitting a shopping cart.