Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

View Poll Results: Why do you drive an auto?
I drive a manual 84 54.90%
I have driven both, and prefer auto 19 12.42%
I have only driven automatics 3 1.96%
I couldn't get the car I wanted with a manual because of buying used 27 17.65%
I couldn't get the car I wanted with a manual because they aren't made (excl hybrid) 16 10.46%
I couldn't get the car I wanted with a manual because it's a hybrid 4 2.61%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2011, 09:49 PM   #131 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
HaHaHaHaHa. You got me there .

regards
Mech
(We can start a thread on adjusting chain drive trucks for FE . . . .)

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-06-2011, 06:32 PM   #132 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
I don't like the idea of rolling into the guy behind me at a stop light while on a hill.
I tried to learn to drive a manual car as a teen and completely failed. Now as an adult, I don't see how that i could just go buy a car with a manual and drive home without first getting comfortable with it.
???

The sad part is cadillac in the 1930's (as well as other manufacturers) had something called Anti-roll technology in their MT transmissions, it was cheap to impliment and would not allow you to roll the wrong way when in gear. AKA in reverse you could only roll backwards, in a forward gear you could only roll ahead.

Personally I like that system, it is irritating having to pull the E-brake on hills and then coordinate releasing the clutch throttling and releasing the e-brake at the same time but not undoable.

Also I answered the car I wanted in a MT didn't exist and it didn't but I got an MT anyway and now am making my other vehicle into an MT but until then I do drive autos (more occasionally now than ever) but also drive stick a lot, I prefer stick.

Cheers
Ryan
Old 01-06-2011, 06:51 PM   #133 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
rmay635703 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
???

The sad part is cadillac in the 1930's (as well as other manufacturers) had something called Anti-roll technology in their MT transmissions, it was cheap to impliment and would not allow you to roll the wrong way when in gear. AKA in reverse you could only roll backwards, in a forward gear you could only roll ahead.

Personally I like that system, it is irritating having to pull the E-brake on hills and then coordinate releasing the clutch throttling and releasing the e-brake at the same time but not undoable.

It's baaack. On Top-Gear USA the new stickshift CR-Z featured that technology in hilly San Francisco.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 01-06-2011, 08:17 PM   #134 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Big Orange Work Truck - '83 Ford F-250
90 day: 27.54 mpg (US)

Jessica's - '04 Toyota Matrix
90 day: 41.21 mpg (US)

Ninjette - '01 Kawasaki Ninja EX250R
I bought a MT having only driven one twice before.

First time I was the designated driver, and by the time the owner realized I couldn't actually drive a stick, it was too late
Second time I pretended to be interested in buying a car just so I could get some more practice.
3rd time was driving my new (used) car home.

A story about rolling backward: I thought my (ex)wife to drive my car. Her first steep hill with a stop light, she rolled back into the car behind us. The driver jumped out, ran up to us...
and...
apologized profusely!?
She genuinely thought it was entirely her own fault.
So we accepted her apology, and said we didn't need to involve insurance and that was that

It takes a little while to get really comfortable, but now there is no hill, of any angle, where I need to use the e-brake to get started.
In fact, I sit at stop lights on hill with the engine off, press the clutch at the moment I hit the starter, and engage before I roll back more than a few inches (at most).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
A few months ago I returned home just as my neighbor pulled into his driveway. It was cold (around freezing) with some rain and sleet, and he yells to me: You rode your bike? In this weather?!?

So the other day we both returned home at the same time again, only now the weather is warm, sunny, with no wind. And I yell to him: You took the car? In this weather?!?
Old 01-06-2011, 08:47 PM   #135 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobAziza View Post
It takes a little while to get really comfortable, but now there is no hill, of any angle, where I need to use the e-brake to get started.
In fact, I sit at stop lights on hill with the engine off, press the clutch at the moment I hit the starter, and engage before I roll back more than a few inches (at most).
I don't think I really ever did learn to properly use a shifter, I drove one for about a month (a yugo) when I was learning to drive then the brakes locked and it was off the road.

My current car needs gas to go when on a hill so getting everything smoothly released without the ebrake on certain hills is rather impossible, it helps to have a grandma gear. The only thing I do differently than other people is that I release the clutch when the RPMs are almost on for the gear I select going up, down usually not as I can't seem to get that one right, but then again I rarely downshift (all or nothing).

Something else that pisses me is the fact my reverse seems like 3rd gear, why do I want to idle 10mph in R, I would rather have a nice LOW easy to use reverse so if I have to use it, I can just easy out on the clutch, sadly the only times I need to use reverse are when I have to back up a 45 deg incline, gun it while releasing I really REALLY don't like having to ride the clutch in R to keep from flying out and hitting a shopping cart.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:54 PM   #136 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Big Orange Work Truck - '83 Ford F-250
90 day: 27.54 mpg (US)

Jessica's - '04 Toyota Matrix
90 day: 41.21 mpg (US)

Ninjette - '01 Kawasaki Ninja EX250R
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
My current car needs gas to go when on a hill
They all do.
You just have to be quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
A few months ago I returned home just as my neighbor pulled into his driveway. It was cold (around freezing) with some rain and sleet, and he yells to me: You rode your bike? In this weather?!?

So the other day we both returned home at the same time again, only now the weather is warm, sunny, with no wind. And I yell to him: You took the car? In this weather?!?
Old 01-06-2011, 09:06 PM   #137 (permalink)
halos.com

ECONORAM - '07 Dodge RAM 1500 QC SLT flex-fuel
90 day: 18.16 mpg (US)

the Avenger - '08 Dodge Avenger SXT
90 day: 27.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to ECONORAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumnasgt View Post
I've been wondering for a while what people's reasoning is for getting a car with an automatic, so I thought I'd start a poll. I think I've thought of all the general reasons, obviously explaining more in a reply is even better

As for my family's Sonata, we weren't able to get a used one with a manual in our price range. At first I hated the auto (first I'd ever driven), but it's growing on me. A DSG gearbox would be nicer, as it gets a bit annoying having to pay so much attention to keep the TC locked up as much as possible while going up inclines on the highway. And gas mileage in the city is rubbish.
I voted couldn't get a manual because it wasn't available, but the truth is Dodge (now RAM) only made 10% of the RAM fleet half-tons with a stick shift for 06-08. Now they make zero. GRRR. I honestly have plans to swap to a stick, but for the meantime...I am shiftless.
For those blessed with a stick, remember smoothness is the key to shifting. The passengers should not feel much when you change gears.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:17 PM   #138 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECONORAM View Post
For those blessed with a stick, remember smoothness is the key to shifting. The passengers should not feel much when you change gears.
I am not sure if that is the key to clutch wear, if I rev higher and clutch extra carefully and ride a bit I am ultra smooth, but I doubt that saves any wear on anything.

I usually shift early, allow the RPMs to match up, clutch out relatively slowly and slowly and gradually accelerate without lugging when I can get away with it. I can also clutch only accellerate up to about 3rd gear without any notable lugging, this is somewhat usefull when I am in a situation where I can't or shouldn't accelerate much, like in a parking lot or when stuck in slow traffic. I also don't have to ride the clutch to accomplish this, in traffic with a slight downward hill I got up to 4th idling along at about the same GPH as idling stationary, Then to neutral. I imagine traffic wreaks massive havok on my clutch, I assume applying as little force as possible would keep it happier longer, though I may well be very wrong. Clutching every 5 seconds so I don't overrun somebody can't be good. Although I have gotten short term 67mpg runs in traffic if I can get fast enough and coast EOC long enough.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:37 PM   #139 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I didn't vote because the choice I made was not available. The car I am driving now was purchased from a salvage auction. While they do make a manual version, it could have been years before one became available. I might not own this one for a long time but that is not absolute.

I could buy just about anything as long as it is wrecked and the price is right. Might even be a Leaf if one of them gets totalled in the rear end with no serious mechanical problems.

The Altima replaced two cars, an 02 Insight and my 94 VX. My monthly mileage has dropped almost 50%, and my fuel bill for December was $100.

With our two cars having identical engines and transmissions and considering the lower cost of two instead of three cars on insurance and the fact the wife does not mind driving my Altima while she never drove the VX and only drove the Insight when her car was damaged and being repaired, when you consider all the circumstances I think I made the logical choice. My buddy who helped me fix the Altima made some money to use in building his house so that was another bonus.

I have two motorcycles that are both manuals and get mileage in the low to high 80s. I drive them when weather permits and I am travelling alone. Loads of fun and cheap transportation. Insurance and property taxes on both bikes total less than $200 per year.

Depreciation is another non issue with a rebuilt car since I have only 2/3rds of its current value in my total cost I can drive it for a couple of years and break even, or sell it if another wrecked car that I would prefer over this one becomes available.

While I like manuals, the wife hates them, and she will never ride on a motorcycle.

regards
Mech
Old 01-07-2011, 12:08 PM   #140 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
Mech,

It's interesting how you badmouth my SE-R as a gashog comparable to Suburbans and Hummers, when it shares the same engine as your Altima, had nearly identical (2002) EPA fuel economy estimates, and my lifetime 38 mpg fuel economy beats your 90 day FE by several mpg. Your automatic, despite its advanced fuel-saving features, is more of a gashog than my manual tranny gashog.

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg

Last edited by SentraSE-R; 01-07-2011 at 07:59 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread