View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011, 06:31 PM   #139 (permalink)
Weather Spotter
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
Quote:
Originally Posted by richtate View Post
What would be interesting would be to see the video from a stationary location with the Matrix and the chaser car passing a block or so away from each other for comparison.
That is not a bad idea, I would need a similar car to make a fair comparison. I can tell that the wake is smaller then pre tail. On most cars I see the wake of spinning and vortex snow is the same or taller then the car. It is wider then the car as well. On mine it is as tall as the tail (ending height) and only slightly wider then the tail is (ending width).

From trailing I can also see that it keeps this shape for a time then dissipates in about 1/3- 1/2 the normal length.

If I were to fix things more I would try to do a mini boat tail behind each tire. This would get in the way of snow and road debris so I am not planning on doing it.

I might work on the front wheel wells to reduce the gap.

One issue I have with the tail is that the foam pieces somewhere (I think in the front) are rubbing and making the nasty foam noise. What can I do to fix it? The noise is just when I go over bumps but small ones do it to so it is doing it about 90% of the time. It is not very loud but it is grating. I can live with it but others can not.

I was thinking:
Fiberglass it (not a fan but I could do, I would have to buy more stuff and the smell)
paint (might not get the surfaces that are rubbing, it could be edge on edge)
noise reduction insulation (cost $$$$)

Other ideas?