View Single Post
Old 01-13-2011, 01:07 PM   #343 (permalink)
NeilBlanchard
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Yes, they are fine at night if the camera doesn't "open up" too much. In fact, the lack of blinding glare from headlights behind you is a big advantage. They have infrared LED's that light things within 15' or so; without having any visible light.

I actually have the same camera (more or less); the better and the worse ones are ostensibly the same. The one that is too white at night (because it's 'F-stop' circuit lets in too much light?) also has some green lines superimposed on the image (to try and assist with depth perception); but I don't think that is the cause for the problem.

All the cameras are challenged at the other end of the light strength: when in direct sunshine, they get overwhelmed -- the 'F-stop' stepping needs to be able to work in direct sunshine. Also, the screens I have get darker as they heat up -- they produce a fair amount of heat from the backlight and so in bright sunshine, they are not easy to use.

The video mirrors are best in situations when optical mirrors are weakest: at dusk and in the rain.

So, the bottom line is, I still use a small optical mirror on the driver's side, for when the car isn't running (like when I have parked in a parallel space, and need to see traffic to open the door), or when the screen is hard to see because it is in direct sunshine and/or the camera is washing out the image.

I've been running these video mirrors for over 2 years now, and they work, but I certainly see the need for various improvements. Another one that I have not mentioned in this post is the need to optically correct for the barrel distortion that these very wide angle cameras have.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/