View Single Post
Old 01-15-2011, 07:08 AM   #15 (permalink)
steaming leeming
EcoModding Lurker

VW Steam Conversion

I am designing and building a VW parallel twin steam engine. I have discarded and blanked off 2 of the RH side cylinders. This still gives the same number of power impulses. I suggest that you get in touch with Steam Automobile Club of America -- A club dedicated to the preservation of steam automobiles.

In their extensive library they have available a full set of working drawings for complete VW steam conversion, a super design and a really capable car, will outperform standard Beetle. I was fortunate enough to meet the builder, Peter Barrett before his untimely death, a real gem.

I am delighted to report that Peter's steam VW now resides with a friend of mine in the south of England. I will put it on this site should he take it to any rallies in GB in the summer. The camshaft is of little use as it runs at half engine speed so the OHC with tooth belt drive has to be grafted on. The cams run up to 5,000rpm hence no push rods etc, a potential disaster. All steam traction has to have a minimum of 2 pressure reliefs.

Well said Mark, zero risk of explosion. Again there are full sets of drawings available for a steam generator as used on Peter Barrett's car. Keep me informed, best of luck.

Steaming Leeming