Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2010, 10:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
the smaller cam gear is a neat idea, but the lobes would need about twice as much duration to get it to be efficient, otherwise they are only open half a stroke. good point about the intake valve

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-29-2010, 10:18 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
There have been people who converted gas engines to compressed air engines by replacing the spark plugs with an air injector, you could do the same thing with steam, other then the water issues.
Really, you would be better off buying a steam engine or building one from the ground up and installing it in your car.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Unfortunately, I'm with Ryland. You'll be far (far far ad infinitum) better off just taking out the old engine and buying a steam one or starting from scratch with plans for a purpose-built steam engine.

I started my quest to make my truck fossil-fuel free by looking into steam. Safety and engineering aspects of it made it not worth the effort. There is a whole heck of a lot of work to to do make it work. Even if you get the original engine converted, you'll still have safety and power issues. It will be a vehicle that technically runs, but is weak and inefficient. And to get a purpose-built steam engine to work with whats left of your drive train would be an engineering and machining feat in itself. It only took me a couple hours to scrap the idea entirely.

The only advantage over a gasifier would be using pretty much any fuel in any size I wanted. So I finally settled on modifying gasifier designs to match my needs. My major hurdle is making the gasifier work well with my fuel size (regular split wood). I've all but given up making the wood a standard gasifier size, so I'm now on to modifying the burn chamber fit the split wood. I started a thread here. Good luck!
Old 10-29-2010, 06:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

if using a gasifier couldn't you use the produced gas in a traditional motor? Just like doin an LPG conversion.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:08 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

VW Steam Conversion

I am designing and building a VW parallel twin steam engine. I have discarded and blanked off 2 of the RH side cylinders. This still gives the same number of power impulses. I suggest that you get in touch with Steam Automobile Club of America -- A club dedicated to the preservation of steam automobiles.

In their extensive library they have available a full set of working drawings for complete VW steam conversion, a super design and a really capable car, will outperform standard Beetle. I was fortunate enough to meet the builder, Peter Barrett before his untimely death, a real gem.

I am delighted to report that Peter's steam VW now resides with a friend of mine in the south of England. I will put it on this site should he take it to any rallies in GB in the summer. The camshaft is of little use as it runs at half engine speed so the OHC with tooth belt drive has to be grafted on. The cams run up to 5,000rpm hence no push rods etc, a potential disaster. All steam traction has to have a minimum of 2 pressure reliefs.

Well said Mark, zero risk of explosion. Again there are full sets of drawings available for a steam generator as used on Peter Barrett's car. Keep me informed, best of luck.

Steaming Leeming

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
beetle, biomass, boiler, steam, volkswagen