Thread: Questions
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2011, 05:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Thymeclock
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by morpheous71 View Post
Don't get me wrong, I read alot of the posts, I just don't have the time or maybe the answers are not out there to research further, so I decided I'd post a few questions.

1. I'm doing alot of neutral, engine running coasting with an automatic, is this or could it screw my tranny or something else. Overheating? or Wear/Tear on the constant switching. It's becoming an addiction so I thought I better find out from the pros.
Here is a relevant comment from a thread about the subject:

Quote:
Quote:
Regarding going back into drive while still moving at high speed, when i didn't have override control of my transmission i did have some issues if i was traveling at around 60 mph, if i went back into drive without rev matching well the transmission would shift down a gear and rev really high.

Reply:
Yes, that is the problem and it can be detrimental.

Automatic transmission design can vary, and whether you can shift back into drive while in motion without incurring damage is questionable. One of the most expensive repairs imaginable on any vehicle is an A/T rebuild - so be careful. Saving a few $$ in fuel is not worth causing well over a thousand $$$ in repair.

I'd suggest you consult with a transmission shop and ask them the question directly. They can give you good reasons why you shouldn't do it, if it can't be done without doing harm.
The entire thread can be found here
The Following User Says Thank You to Thymeclock For This Useful Post:
morpheous71 (01-20-2011)