Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2011, 04:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Libby - '02 Jeep Liberty sport
Wink Questions

Don't get me wrong, I read alot of the posts, I just don't have the time or maybe the answers are not out there to research further, so I decided I'd post a few questions.

1. I'm doing alot of neutral, engine running coasting with an automatic, is this or could it screw my tranny or something else. Overheating? or Wear/Tear on the constant switching. It's becoming an addiction so I thought I better find out from the pros.

2. I think I'm getting further coasts with my new muffler on and also when I'm hooked up to the trailer, is this possible and why? If so how can I milk it for more coasting travel distance?

3. Is there issues with covering up your grilles and tranny oil temp's, do you guys have transtemp guages, are they recommended and how do you install them. That's a few questions, but I think I would like to keep my eye on the temp while I'm driving in this new style.

Thanks in advance.
Morph

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-20-2011, 05:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by morpheous71 View Post
Don't get me wrong, I read alot of the posts, I just don't have the time or maybe the answers are not out there to research further, so I decided I'd post a few questions.

1. I'm doing alot of neutral, engine running coasting with an automatic, is this or could it screw my tranny or something else. Overheating? or Wear/Tear on the constant switching. It's becoming an addiction so I thought I better find out from the pros.
Here is a relevant comment from a thread about the subject:

Quote:
Quote:
Regarding going back into drive while still moving at high speed, when i didn't have override control of my transmission i did have some issues if i was traveling at around 60 mph, if i went back into drive without rev matching well the transmission would shift down a gear and rev really high.

Reply:
Yes, that is the problem and it can be detrimental.

Automatic transmission design can vary, and whether you can shift back into drive while in motion without incurring damage is questionable. One of the most expensive repairs imaginable on any vehicle is an A/T rebuild - so be careful. Saving a few $$ in fuel is not worth causing well over a thousand $$$ in repair.

I'd suggest you consult with a transmission shop and ask them the question directly. They can give you good reasons why you shouldn't do it, if it can't be done without doing harm.
The entire thread can be found here
The Following User Says Thank You to Thymeclock For This Useful Post:
morpheous71 (01-20-2011)
Old 01-21-2011, 12:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Toylet - '87 Toyota Supra 350 Chevy V8 / 700R4

In-Durrrr-Oh - '09 TMEC Enduro TMEC 200cc Enduro
90 day: 60.9 mpg (US)

Tem-poo - '86 Ford Tempo GL 4 Door 2.0 Liter Diesel 5 Speed
90 day: 47.52 mpg (US)

Ass Tick - '01 Pontiac Pontiac Aztek GT 5 Door

Green Baby Poop Stain - '01 Pontiac Aztek Aztek Base Model

Black Track - '01 Pontiac Aztek GT
Be careful not to make it 'slam' into gear. If you're neutral coasting with an automatic, make sure you put it back into gear easily. Expecially if you're hauling a trailer.
A grill cover may cause some increase in temp, but I'm sure the factory system should be able to handle it. My advice, do it. Besides, it's mid January winter. You shouldn't have any issue's until the outside temp reaches 90's or over. Then, keep an eye on the gauge.
The reason you're seeing more coast / glide time with the trailer is the additional weight. Let's see if I get this right. Newton's law of motion states that an object in motion will remain in motion at the same volocity unless acted upon by an unbalenced force. The momentum of both truck and trailer continue farther because it's able to overcome the wind and rolling resistance with the added weight. This is obviously not to say you'll get better gas mileage with the trailer.
VT247

Quote:

2. I think I'm getting further coasts with my new muffler on and also when I'm hooked up to the trailer, is this possible and why? If so how can I milk it for more coasting travel distance?

3. Is there issues with covering up your grilles and tranny oil temp's, do you guys have transtemp guages, are they recommended and how do you install them. That's a few questions, but I think I would like to keep my eye on the temp while I'm driving in this new style.

Thanks in advance.
Morph
Old 01-21-2011, 01:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Quote:

If I were towing any significant mass over any significant distance, especially with any significant climb in the middle, I'd have a tranny temperature gauge even without doing a grille block. Towing without a tranny temp gauge is like driving without an engine temp gauge.

The Following User Says Thank You to Clev For This Useful Post:
morpheous71 (01-22-2011)
Old 01-22-2011, 05:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Libby - '02 Jeep Liberty sport
Tranny Tem. guage. So are these just like the oil temp. guages I see in stores.
Is there anyway to rig that into the scanguage?

Reply  Post New Thread