View Single Post
Old 01-23-2011, 01:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Zerohour
Master EcoModder

Pooparu - '01 Subaru Outback Limited
90 day: 28.12 mpg (US)

Cop Car - '94 Chevy Caprice Interceptor 9C1
Last 3: 18.48 mpg (US)

Mini - '11 Mini Cooper
90 day: 37.63 mpg (US)

Gramps - '95 Subaru Legacy Postal
90 day: 23.18 mpg (US)
Oh I have :-p Been doing quite a bit of reading. But there are so many various methods, I feel it would be best to find someone with actual experience. It's always easier to field questions to someone with experience than to read 30 difference sources and go for it on a hunch. With the the lower temps of aluminum, there is a potential for some serious issues and life changing accidents.

Quite seriously I've watched people, wearing shorts and sneakers, casting outside in a grassy field and it looks like it could open up and rain any second. Obviously these are some poor decisions, but there are probably many more less obvious problems that could arise with back yard casting. Another big issue that I see, people seem to just poor aluminium with a cope and drag, but there is not structure holding the sand mold together. If you ever seen a mold crack (or lift and float), you would understand there is a potential for a run-out. If you're not prepared, or have never considered this situation, you could have molten metal pooling across your garage floor near the ignition source or flexible propane lines.