View Single Post
Old 01-29-2011, 12:47 PM   #441 (permalink)
honestabe
Work In Progress

Black Knight - '08 Toyota Yaris
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to honestabe
Quote:
Originally Posted by xDhacker View Post
Love my job, met my wife over a great distance and don't want to sell the house/switch careers on the current economy. It's a temporary thing. Just how soon it changes I'm not sure. Winters are difficult, and construction makes me want to pull my hair out. I don't think my car is a brick but I'll take your suggestion into consideration. Anything in particular I should look for on a geo? Common problems?
Get the 95+ models in the configuration I mentioned. They are safer than the pre-95's, a lot more comfortable, more spacious, and ride a hell of a lot better. At about 170k miles the heads need to be rebuilt due to weak valves (but a company called 3Tech sells stainless steel valves as an upgrade and solution to this problem). Because of this I'd recommend doing a wet compression test before buying. To have the head rebuilt and upgraded is about $500 IIRC from 3Tech, but worth every penny since it will be rebuilt for fuel economy. The company also sells an economy cam and cam gear to get you better fuel economy.