Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2011, 12:47 PM   #441 (permalink)
Work In Progress

Black Knight - '08 Toyota Yaris
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to honestabe
Quote:
Originally Posted by xDhacker View Post
Love my job, met my wife over a great distance and don't want to sell the house/switch careers on the current economy. It's a temporary thing. Just how soon it changes I'm not sure. Winters are difficult, and construction makes me want to pull my hair out. I don't think my car is a brick but I'll take your suggestion into consideration. Anything in particular I should look for on a geo? Common problems?
Get the 95+ models in the configuration I mentioned. They are safer than the pre-95's, a lot more comfortable, more spacious, and ride a hell of a lot better. At about 170k miles the heads need to be rebuilt due to weak valves (but a company called 3Tech sells stainless steel valves as an upgrade and solution to this problem). Because of this I'd recommend doing a wet compression test before buying. To have the head rebuilt and upgraded is about $500 IIRC from 3Tech, but worth every penny since it will be rebuilt for fuel economy. The company also sells an economy cam and cam gear to get you better fuel economy.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-29-2011, 04:00 PM   #442 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Geo - '97 Geo Metro
Service Consultant for Lexus dealer.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:19 PM   #443 (permalink)
Caravan Miler

Hello Folks
Newbe here I have read the 65 efficiency mods and noticed 2 I had missing. First increasing tire size. I have a 2006 grand caravan recently went from 225/65x16 tires to 235/65x16 tires all 4 corners. Yes the odometer is off by 6% according to my Garmin but built in mpg comp. is up 1 mpg plus the 6% mileage inaccuracy. Vehicle averaged upper 15s to lower 16s now upper 17s .The vehicle handles MUCH better as new tires are better weight rating and file in wheel wells much tighter. Yes the fronts rub...only during hard full lock turns at odd angles ie parking lot aprons typically at low speeds. run 37 psi front 35 psi rear both higher than door tag. This is realtivly cheap when u replace tires and numerically increases ur axel ratio better handling was a bonus but might not always happen.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:30 PM   #444 (permalink)
Caravan Miler

My second find which i havent done yet is cover the lower air dam area between fog lights with Vynil shower pan material Chlorolye or something like that...I need to find out if spray paint will melt it or not. It is light weight, flexible and should be inexpensive. I plan to screw it to my bumpers face after painting it black using a small black screw like a sheet metal screw for steel framing studs.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:06 PM   #445 (permalink)
Work In Progress

Black Knight - '08 Toyota Yaris
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to honestabe
Welcome Ajax. Do you keep your minivan empty at all times? Remember that more weight = lower MPG. Are you thinking of Coroplast? The plastic version of cardboard?
Old 02-02-2011, 10:13 PM   #446 (permalink)
Caravan Miler

ok my last current idea is to extend the front air dam downwards using vinyl floor molding (cove base ) which is available in 3" and 6" heights since the tire swap increased ride height over 1 " I figure the 3" will clear most parking lot hinderances. and drop the front 2" or so than stock . This is used in stock car racing tho it actually touchs the ground on those cars. A note I am not sure how these threads and such work ie i dont know howto track responses and reply but i am very intrested in this forum. so please be patient but i look forward to hearing from the crew.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:16 PM   #447 (permalink)
Caravan Miler

no chloroloy is used in shower stalls for the pan strong very flexible and once i verify paintable probably and very durable and relativly cheap comes in 5' wide rolls by length of ur choice. Thank you for the response.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:18 PM   #448 (permalink)
Caravan Miler

My van is typically empty maybe 50 lbs of junk....also roof rack cross bars are stored in floor of van. Installed Bosch platnum plugs with 4 point tips and low restriction air filter also modified filter air bock to remove internal obstruction.

Last edited by Ajax0420; 02-02-2011 at 10:22 PM.. Reason: to include more info
Old 02-08-2011, 11:11 AM   #449 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Autobody repair and restoration , mechanical electrical....yadda yadda
Interesting site, found it on a google search for HHO conversion. I have obtained some
documents, originals as far as I can tell on HHO production and vehicle modifications. I cant even find the thread for this now...Maybe I will start a new one....
Old 02-08-2011, 11:14 AM   #450 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
Hi - please don't start a new HHO thread.

My signal to noise ratio hurts.

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
haarlem, http://www.ugg-mall.com, lightyear