View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 08:12 AM   #182 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
I've never lived in Alaska, though I wouldn't mind visiting someday.

One thing I can't get past when it comes to drilling is this: What happens (environmentally) when the oil is gone? (Clearly, it can never be "gone" perse - but enough so that we don't bother looking anymore, if you will.)

I don't care about economically anymore. Screw the money, the economy (it doesn't need my help, it's already being screwed globally anyway), and all that thought - but why was the oil there in the first place? What purpose did it serve before we raped it's reserves?

If everything has a reason for existing (I'm sure it does, but that's certainly not a philosophical stance.) then why was the oil there? Was it really just rotten material? Did it intend to feed something?

Ok, so this is a long shot - What if that oil was part of the Earth's life cycle?

How about in a few thousand years (inaccurate number), the Earth's mantle and crust have recycled themselves again, and that oil is what would normally have "kept the fire hot"? Oil as a resource to us has a higher BTU content than probably anything else that could have been used in the same capacity... so it makes sense that it would "keep the fire hot" as it were.

Food for thought... but maybe it's not a flavor we want to taste just yet?