View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 08:26 PM   #51 (permalink)
ECONORAM
halos.com

ECONORAM - '07 Dodge RAM 1500 QC SLT flex-fuel
90 day: 18.16 mpg (US)

the Avenger - '08 Dodge Avenger SXT
90 day: 27.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to ECONORAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by max_frontal_area View Post
i have a supermileage carburetor book in which a coupa designs are vacuum type carburetors. incredible mileage is possible if all gasoline is vaporized, but exposing gas under a vacuum or preheating it can be dangerous.
smokey yunick took an 80's chevy to a hundred MPG by preheating fuel.

think this is the link: Henry "Smokey" Yunick -- Fuel vaporizing carburetor system

personally i felt carburetors were never fully explored.
i once heard of a 70MPG carb having been left on a 70's dodge pickup and accidentally slipping off the assembly line...
chryser got wise to its mistake and offered a brand new top of line truck in exchange for carb alone - to no avail!
I am surprised the big 3 didn't pressure him to stop work on this. However, we haven't seen this engine in production...naturally.

I have seen a couple examples of people heating fuel for FI engines. I was told that part of the work in the combustion chamber goes to heating everything up. If the fuel is already heated, we are that much closer, and should (the operative word) require less fuel for operation.
Here are a couple to choose from: maesco.com :: RACOR :: Diesel Fuel Heaters I prefer the coolant ones.