View Single Post
Old 04-27-2008, 08:24 PM   #175 (permalink)
AndrewJ
Awesomeness personified

Harold - '94 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 54.51 mpg (US)

Margot - '08 Surly Big Dummy
Send a message via AIM to AndrewJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
Just a though. Is it warming up enough that the WAI(warm air intake) is negatively affecting the FE? I guess you need to see the next tank. With such a big drop it is odd. Could just be bad gas. Odd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888 View Post
Some cars don't like Warm air intakes. I did a test and only got 31.xxmpg with my altima on the freeway with a wai. I put the stock air box and and averaged 38-39mpg on the altima on the freeway.
I don't think the HAI is having a negative effect on FE at all. Heck my first full tank with the HAI was my best ever tank at 57mpg.

In theory the HAI should be of most benefit to a car like mine. Part-throttle losses should be most significant on a car that has a (significantly) lower than stock Cd and high gearing (check on both counts).
As the Cd is lowered, the throttle is closed further to maintain the same roadway speed. Closing the throttle further increases your part-throttle losses. HAI solves that problem by allowing/forcing you to open the throttle further for the same power output and roadway speed.

Also see the thread on how higher gears are more necessary on a more aerodynamic car.