Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2008, 05:27 PM   #171 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

DMC - '99 Honda Civic DX
I think the best solution would be to take off the alternator belt because even if it's "off" the engine is still turning the belt which still wastes energy...

I think maybe you can eliminate the alternator and the belt out of the car if you have 2-3 batteries in the car and have a couple solar panels in the car and time to time charge up the batteries at home...

Also does anybody else ride in your car? Some people have cars that they exclusively use to commute to work and back or/and only drive by themselves. You could strip the entire car if that's the case. Carpet and everything..

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-27-2008, 05:44 PM   #172 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
Just a though. Is it warming up enough that the WAI(warm air intake) is negatively affecting the FE? I guess you need to see the next tank. With such a big drop it is odd. Could just be bad gas. Odd.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:31 PM   #173 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

DMC - '99 Honda Civic DX
Some cars don't like Warm air intakes. I did a test and only got 31.xxmpg with my altima on the freeway with a wai. I put the stock air box and and averaged 38-39mpg on the altima on the freeway.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:05 PM   #174 (permalink)
Awesomeness personified

Harold - '94 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 54.51 mpg (US)

Margot - '08 Surly Big Dummy
Send a message via AIM to AndrewJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimsmetro View Post
what are your front tire dimensions?
All four tires are 175 80 R 13's

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Yeah, that's a bit perplexing.

Were there any other changes? Had you somehow adjusted your driving style thinking alternator-off was compensating?

You need a MPGuino! (Did I miss the latest chapter in the SuperMID build? What happened there?)

No driving style changes that I noticed on that tank. Four tanks ago I had a similar freak 49mpg fill too...
I have been noticing that my fills are about 1 gallon less than they used to be a few months ago, but the needle is always in the same place (on empty) when I fill up.
Dunno if that has anything to do with it.

I have noticed that I've made some major driving improvements since going "beltless"
I'm coasting a lot more, trying to minimize the use of the starter and the time spent with the engine on, thus "hyperwatting" my limited battery power.

The next tank should be interesting.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:24 PM   #175 (permalink)
Awesomeness personified

Harold - '94 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 54.51 mpg (US)

Margot - '08 Surly Big Dummy
Send a message via AIM to AndrewJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
Just a though. Is it warming up enough that the WAI(warm air intake) is negatively affecting the FE? I guess you need to see the next tank. With such a big drop it is odd. Could just be bad gas. Odd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888 View Post
Some cars don't like Warm air intakes. I did a test and only got 31.xxmpg with my altima on the freeway with a wai. I put the stock air box and and averaged 38-39mpg on the altima on the freeway.
I don't think the HAI is having a negative effect on FE at all. Heck my first full tank with the HAI was my best ever tank at 57mpg.

In theory the HAI should be of most benefit to a car like mine. Part-throttle losses should be most significant on a car that has a (significantly) lower than stock Cd and high gearing (check on both counts).
As the Cd is lowered, the throttle is closed further to maintain the same roadway speed. Closing the throttle further increases your part-throttle losses. HAI solves that problem by allowing/forcing you to open the throttle further for the same power output and roadway speed.

Also see the thread on how higher gears are more necessary on a more aerodynamic car.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:05 PM   #176 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Red Robin - '92 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 38.88 mpg (US)
Me and my dad are working on a cardboard template of a kammback similar to yours. It may be a little longer than yours, we plan to use smoked plexiglass if we can find a piece big enough.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:45 PM   #177 (permalink)
Future EV Owner

Wannabe - '05 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 40.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Me and my dad are working on a cardboard template of a kammback similar to yours. It may be a little longer than yours, we plan to use smoked plexiglass if we can find a piece big enough.
Let us know how it affects FE. I'm working on something that can be easily strapped to whatever small car I'm using. I'll post pics if I ever get it to work correctly.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:19 PM   #178 (permalink)
big dog daddy

Hey gang
I am new here but am intrigued by what you do.
Will shaving the door handles improve aerodynamics at all and FE?
It would at least look cool.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:30 PM   #179 (permalink)
Future EV Owner

Wannabe - '05 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 40.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayseed View Post
Hey gang
I am new here but am intrigued by what you do.
Will shaving the door handles improve aerodynamics at all and FE?
It would at least look cool.
Perhaps a little. Most people take off their exterior mirrors before they get that far, however.

Last edited by Arminius; 04-29-2008 at 08:11 AM..
Old 04-28-2008, 10:49 PM   #180 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
I work at Lowes .
We sell smoked plexiglass in large sizes . It has a really cool look to it.
I actually intended to make my Civics' Kammback out of the stuff, but it is VERY brittle.
One false move and it will crack on you.
Another worry of mine was how that heat ( sun ) affects it over time, as well as the fact that it scratches very easily.

Please post pictures of your work if you go through with it. The smoked plexi really does have a cool look ( You will need to tint the rest of your windows to match the tint on the Kammback. )

Reply  Post New Thread