View Single Post
Old 02-06-2011, 03:01 PM   #4327 (permalink)
jyanof
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by billhac View Post
wow, thats a great model, would it make any difference in the temp, if someone placed 2 cpu fans on oppsite sides of the heat spreader long ways, one to pull air and one to suck air while the cover is on, my controller during the last part of summer here, was getting a little warm, it did not go into thermal cutback, but i thought about putting the fans in just to see if it would make any difference, and was going to do just that when I get my controller back.
thanks!

The internal fan question has been discussed before. I think it will help a small amount with the mosfets and diodes (since their surface area is small relative to a finned heatsink), but a large amount with the caps (but they don't seem to get too hot anyway). Of course you'll have a lot of dust and crap blowing around in there which may cause some trouble. I did try to model it by throwing a small bit of convection on the same surfaces as the heat generation, and the temp did drop a few degrees, but I hesitate to say it's that effective since modeling convection can be very tricky (i just guessed at what coefficients to use).

If you do give it a try, hopefully you can use the serial output and adam's RTD explorer to monitor the temperature before and after and let us know what effect internal cooling has.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ting-9325.html