View Single Post
Old 02-11-2011, 11:52 AM   #22 (permalink)
The Rooster
He ain't gonna die!

Tree Catcher - '94 Acura Integra LS
90 day: 32.12 mpg (US)

The Old Dog - '92 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 31.58 mpg (US)
3rd non-free mod, expense apx $10

Repair and Prime front bumper;

Time invested: 2 hours, not including R&I

Yesterday I continued working on repair and primer and I tackled the front bumper.

This is the bumper sanded down in 320 grit sand paper and some very minor body work right below the passenger high beam. There are a number of raw plastic areas exposed so I applied some PPG adhesion promoter before applying the 2 part PPG Deltron primer. Usually it's not a good idea to use body filler on bumpers, but in small areas that don't flex, like the area below the passenger high beam, it's just fine. Body filler is easier to work with that plastic filler. If I were to use plastic filler, it's a 3M product, I would have applied the 3M adhesion promotor to the raw plastic before applying the filler, then used the PPG before applying the primer.

Dealing with raw plastic can be a real pain, especially if it's new. If you do have some new plastic you want to paint, I suggest the following steps;

1)Wash the plastic with a gold scotch brite pad, or use 1000 grit sand paper and fill a bucket with water and a little dish soap. Make sure you scuff the bumper well, and get all the edges.

2)Dry the bumper

3)If you can find some industrial Naptha, use it, otherwise use rubbing alcohol on a clean, lint free cloth and wipe the bumper down. (In the state of California, Naptha and Rubbing Alcohol are illegal, I'm not allowed to clean crap here, it's stupid)

4)Apply adhesion promotor to all exposed raw plastic surfaces. Let dry for 5-10 minutes

5)Apply the appropriate 2 part sealer or primer

6) Paint

Anyway here she is primed;

Last edited by The Rooster; 02-11-2011 at 12:04 PM..