Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2011, 11:47 AM   #21 (permalink)
He ain't gonna die!

Tree Catcher - '94 Acura Integra LS
90 day: 32.12 mpg (US)

The Old Dog - '92 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 31.58 mpg (US)
OK, so anyway, as promised, here's the pic of the big hole left behind from removing the rear mud flap giving me cause for concern of a parachute effect;

Now, the modified mud flap reinstalled;

Last edited by The Rooster; 02-11-2011 at 12:06 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-11-2011, 11:52 AM   #22 (permalink)
He ain't gonna die!

3rd non-free mod, expense apx $10

Repair and Prime front bumper;

Time invested: 2 hours, not including R&I

Yesterday I continued working on repair and primer and I tackled the front bumper.

This is the bumper sanded down in 320 grit sand paper and some very minor body work right below the passenger high beam. There are a number of raw plastic areas exposed so I applied some PPG adhesion promoter before applying the 2 part PPG Deltron primer. Usually it's not a good idea to use body filler on bumpers, but in small areas that don't flex, like the area below the passenger high beam, it's just fine. Body filler is easier to work with that plastic filler. If I were to use plastic filler, it's a 3M product, I would have applied the 3M adhesion promotor to the raw plastic before applying the filler, then used the PPG before applying the primer.

Dealing with raw plastic can be a real pain, especially if it's new. If you do have some new plastic you want to paint, I suggest the following steps;

1)Wash the plastic with a gold scotch brite pad, or use 1000 grit sand paper and fill a bucket with water and a little dish soap. Make sure you scuff the bumper well, and get all the edges.

2)Dry the bumper

3)If you can find some industrial Naptha, use it, otherwise use rubbing alcohol on a clean, lint free cloth and wipe the bumper down. (In the state of California, Naptha and Rubbing Alcohol are illegal, I'm not allowed to clean crap here, it's stupid)

4)Apply adhesion promotor to all exposed raw plastic surfaces. Let dry for 5-10 minutes

5)Apply the appropriate 2 part sealer or primer

6) Paint

Anyway here she is primed;

Last edited by The Rooster; 02-11-2011 at 12:04 PM..
Old 02-11-2011, 04:19 PM   #23 (permalink)
He ain't gonna die!

Ok, so here's an idea for the color. I tried several different pearl combinations, but this three stage job with a red base and a blue pearl top coat I think is the winner, check it out;

Face;

Cast;

The photo's dont really do it justice, but it has a pretty neat color change effect. You can kind of get an idea of how brilliant the cast is by how much the camera darkened the background.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:20 AM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Send a message via AIM to Darkrider Send a message via MSN to Darkrider Send a message via Yahoo to Darkrider
Great ideas man! I will def keep tabs on this project!.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:13 PM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Slowpoke - '00 Hyundai Sonata GLS
90 day: 32.82 mpg (US)
You could delete that spoiler bro. All they really do is spoil your aero anyways.

Slowly modding my 2000 sonata to what it should be... one project at a time.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:23 PM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Old Girl - '90 Acura Integra GS
Team Honda
90 day: 38.95 mpg (US)
I just got done reading your post. I am new here and have been reading and learning. I too drive an Integra. Mine is a 1990 GS 5 speed. I've had the car for around 10 years and in the early years did the intake, header, exhaust mods. Other than that my car is stock. Before I started trying to improve my FE I would get 33mpg. Now, after doing some minor things to the car my last three tanks have yielded 38, 39, and 37mpg. I live in east Tennessee and don't have much flat road to travel. Most of my driving 90% is interstate. I believe once I adjust the nut behind the wheel I will break the 40mpg mark. Did you notice any difference by removing the rear seats? I've considered doing this, along with my passengers seat and spare tire. I may try it for a week and see what results I get. Have you considered a camshaft change? I know 90-91 cams are milder than 92+.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:14 PM   #27 (permalink)
He ain't gonna die!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvevoltman View Post
I just got done reading your post. I am new here and have been reading and learning. I too drive an Integra. Mine is a 1990 GS 5 speed. I've had the car for around 10 years and in the early years did the intake, header, exhaust mods. Other than that my car is stock. Before I started trying to improve my FE I would get 33mpg. Now, after doing some minor things to the car my last three tanks have yielded 38, 39, and 37mpg. I live in east Tennessee and don't have much flat road to travel. Most of my driving 90% is interstate. I believe once I adjust the nut behind the wheel I will break the 40mpg mark. Did you notice any difference by removing the rear seats? I've considered doing this, along with my passengers seat and spare tire. I may try it for a week and see what results I get. Have you considered a camshaft change? I know 90-91 cams are milder than 92+.
Nope, to be honest very litte that I've done, other than just slowing down has made a difference. Weight, less weight, grill block, no grill block, tire pressure...nothing really seems to matter. It just hovers around 33 MPG when commutinmg at 60 mph in normal weather. At this point I've given up on modifying the car to increase fuel economy, it seems pointless. The seats and spare will be going back in the car and I'm going to paint it the stock color.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:50 PM   #28 (permalink)
He ain't gonna die!

Well it's been a little while but I finnaly got my parts and got some more work done to the car. I figure I should get it painted and back together by the end of next week. Here's some pics of it's current state.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:08 AM   #29 (permalink)
He ain't gonna die!

Not much else done lately, I've been busy with actual work, not giving me much time to work on the car. I managed to get it fully stripped down using my lunch breaks. Got all the door moldings, door handles, mirrors and the sunroof out of it.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:07 AM   #30 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
I just came across your post -- nice work! The Integra has been the platform for my transformation into the world of EcoModding over the last 6 years or so. There were lowly tanks in the 20's and the rare 40+ gem. With a baseline of around 26 mpg, the combo of mods and driving style got that number up to the mid-30's. If you're looking for ideas, take a look at Teggy's garage for mods.

Consider the thread subscribed.

Best FE,

RH77

_
_
Reply  Post New Thread