View Single Post
Old 02-12-2011, 01:05 AM   #104 (permalink)
darcane

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourBinLabs View Post
As per the quote from the article, it's pretty hard to miss a knock, if you've heard one before. If not, look up engine knock or spark knock on youtube. I think in most people's case, the real danger is worse fuel economy and lost power due to the computer compensating.

Not that I'm one to shrug of a good warning, but my observations of the trend here was the most members warning not to do it have not done it. There were a few who mentioned smoke problems or even included a vid.
Actually, it's quite easy to miss a knock. I know just what it sounds like, I've heard it plenty of times over the years in the older vehicles I own. But knock can be damaging even when it's not audible inside the car; especially with all the soundproofing in modern cars.

And, I actually do have experience with diesel in a gasoline tank. I used to work at a place that rents U-Hauls. The gasoline powered trucks periodically came in topped off with diesel and usually barely ran or had to be towed back. I have no way of knowing what the percentage of the mix was though.

That said, I don't believe that you always need to try things personally to figure out it's a bad idea. For example, I also recommend against putting sand in your oil even though I have never tried it.

Mike

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods