View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 06:37 PM   #34 (permalink)
NachtRitter
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
It's definitely not for everyone. Taking liberty with some numbers I'd seen elsewhere, there is probably 1 person out of 3000 that would see any sense in building a kit car. And then there is probably 1 person out of the 500 that see sense in it that would actually do it.

From my perspective, I would not do this with a goal of making money on it. In fact, I expect it to be worth less. Heck, any new car and many used car purchasers suffer from the same fate. Not a big deal. There's more to it than the monetary value of the built car anyway. For me, there would be the satisfaction of building something relatively unique. As well, it is being able to involve family (my son, in particular) and friends in the creation of the vehicle. It's different than simply handing over a pile of cash to someone for a complete vehicle and then driving off in it.

So this is the only kit I've seen that is (for me) affordable, achievable, and eco-minded. Granted the definitions of affordable, achievable, and eco-minded are different for different people, and I'm fine if your definitions are different than mine.

The insurance would need to be special insurance for a component car; the guys that build Cobras, GTMs, t-buckets, etc from kits need to deal with that as well... no different here.

Safety wise, the front structure is the same as the stock Jetta, the side doors are reinforced with an extra side impact beam, and the rear structure is a new square tube frame. The stock seat belt mounting points are maintained and I can use a 5-point seat belt instead if I want. Driver and passenger airbags can be maintained, as can the side impact bags. Just like the stock body panels, the fiberglass panels will provide some impact absorption but are not really designed to stop the impact... that is what the sub-structure is designed to do.
The Following User Says Thank You to NachtRitter For This Useful Post:
mcrews (01-10-2012)