View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011, 01:19 AM   #17 (permalink)
puddleglum
Master EcoModder

Rondo - '07 Kia Rondo EX
Last 3: 20.47 mpg (US)

Tinkertoy2 - '00 Toyota Echo base
Team Toyota
Last 3: 46.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbill View Post
Something is wrong with this picture. Either you have oppressive "nanny-state" government or the big car manufactures have lobbied to cut out the little guy! 'Sorry, just sayin.
In addition to Federal mandates we have individual state rules in US concerning building trikes. Some states are very leanient while others are pretty strict. The strict ones are just protecting us from ourselves. Wouldn't want a bunch of creative crazy people running around on God knows what!
Well, I think the intent is to protect us from ourselves. It's just that there are a few regs. that really mess things up like the component restriction I mentioned already. Three wheeled motorcycles must be open and have a minimum seat height. There is a three wheeled vehicle class, but the regs. seem to be intended for a production car and require all the safety equipment and destructive test data that a manufacturer would have to comply with. I couldn't see any way around them for building a one off. I know there are a few trike projects (like zoltanbod) here in Canada. If I'm wrong on the regs. and there is a way to get a one off licensed, I'd love to have it explained to me.

Almost all my driving is done 1-5 miles at a time.
Best short trip: 2.4 l/100 km, 3.9 km