Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2011, 06:58 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Gresham, Or
Posts: 23
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: Building tadpole trike for street use

RedYaris,
Absolutely. I don't have nice big pics of the actual frame I bought but I did take a snapshot of the ad. I also have pics of another Polaris 4x4 front suspension area. I took them long before I bought the frame. That is what gave me the idea. I chose the Polaris 4x4 because it has such a simple McPearson front end and would allow me front wheel drive.I also have a couple pics of alternate street tires or tire/rim combinations but for some reason flickr won't let me upload em. Link to pics I successfully uploaded to flickr will be shared at bottom of reply.
Your Honda quad would make a great donor for a reverse trike if you don't mind cannibalizing it. Just be sure to build a new frame so you can sit down low like a gokart. A-arms, suspension, brakes, spindles, and even rims could be reused. You would need to relocate the steering down low and redo all controls.
I belong to a trike group on Yahoo called "cabinscooters" where we discuss and build enclosed trikes of differing sizes. From bicycle makeovers all the way up to 3-wheeled cars! Anyone is welcome to join!
Now, as far as tires, I like the Kenda-brand but any DOT approved street tire of the correct size will work. A lot of these type tires can be found at on-line golf cart stores. Plug the following into google: 'Kenda 205/50-10 DOT tire' minus the quote marks and feast your eyes. Now here is the link to my flickr pics: <http://www.flickr.com/photos/46196403@N06/sets/72157626023497350/> photo set entitled 'Parts 4 FWD reverse trike'

Quote:
Originally Posted by redyaris View Post
tinkerbil Do you have some pic's of the Polaris front end/frame that you have for the tadpole project? I have a Honda 350 Quad in the yard that I never use that could be turned into something interesting and fuel efficient. Do you have info on alternate tires and rims for the street?


Last edited by tinkerbill; 02-11-2011 at 07:04 AM..
  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 02-16-2011, 01:11 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
puddleglum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Red Deer, AB
Posts: 421

Rondo - '07 Kia Rondo EX
Last 3: 20.47 mpg (US)

Tinkertoy2 - '00 Toyota Echo base
Team Toyota
Last 3: 46.03 mpg (US)
Thanks: 39
Thanked 95 Times in 69 Posts
tinkerbill, I think I read your initial post wrong when I gave you my first response. I was thinking overall width was only going to be 3 feet. sounds like it should be pretty nice when it's done.
__________________



Almost all my driving is done 1-5 miles at a time.
Best short trip: 2.4 l/100 km, 3.9 km
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:54 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: british columbia Canada
Posts: 102
Thanks: 24
Thanked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Hi,I have been busy on my own tadpole concept for three years now.Nice to see creativity doesn't stop with retirement.Check out my album if you are interested in a tadpole of a differant colour.It has a 3 cyl turbo Suzuki front drive assembly installed.
__________________
Zoltanbod's Photo Albums
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:02 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
puddleglum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Red Deer, AB
Posts: 421

Rondo - '07 Kia Rondo EX
Last 3: 20.47 mpg (US)

Tinkertoy2 - '00 Toyota Echo base
Team Toyota
Last 3: 46.03 mpg (US)
Thanks: 39
Thanked 95 Times in 69 Posts
Red Yaris,
I don't think you could use your quad to build a trike, like what tinkerbill is doing. You could build it, but I don't think you could get it licensed here in Alberta. I was reading the licensing regulation last night and it states that a custom vehicle, for on road use, may only contain parts from other on road vehicles. Parts from off road vehicles cannot be used. I could be wrong, but I don't think so. I also remember reading a while back that the regulations for getting any kind of enclosed trike licensed here are incredibly stringent. In case you thinking about it, I suggest you do some research first. I was really wanting to try and build a trike, a couple of years back, but gave up because I didn't think I could get one licensed. Building an unstable trike with a high CG, from a open motorcycle is not a problem. Build one low, stable and enclosed, you may have a hard time getting it licensed here.
__________________



Almost all my driving is done 1-5 miles at a time.
Best short trip: 2.4 l/100 km, 3.9 km

Last edited by puddleglum; 02-16-2011 at 03:05 AM.. Reason: change in wording
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Gresham, Or
Posts: 23
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
zoltanbod,
Very nice! I see you are coming right along. I have seen your project numerous times. It's great how you have been able to incorporate differing parts to come up with your creation. It's obvious you have spent a lot of time on this. I wish I had half the energy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoltanbod View Post
Hi,I have been busy on my own tadpole concept for three years now.Nice to see creativity doesn't stop with retirement.Check out my album if you are interested in a tadpole of a differant colour.It has a 3 cyl turbo Suzuki front drive assembly installed.
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tinkerbill For This Useful Post:
zoltanbod (02-17-2011)
Old 02-16-2011, 04:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Gresham, Or
Posts: 23
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Something is wrong with this picture. Either you have oppressive "nanny-state" government or the big car manufactures have lobbied to cut out the little guy! 'Sorry, just sayin.
In addition to Federal mandates we have individual state rules in US concerning building trikes. Some states are very leanient while others are pretty strict. The strict ones are just protecting us from ourselves. Wouldn't want a bunch of creative crazy people running around on God knows what!

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddleglum View Post
Red Yaris,
I don't think you could use your quad to build a trike, like what tinkerbill is doing. You could build it, but I don't think you could get it licensed here in Alberta. I was reading the licensing regulation last night and it states that a custom vehicle, for on road use, may only contain parts from other on road vehicles. Parts from off road vehicles cannot be used. I could be wrong, but I don't think so. I also remember reading a while back that the regulations for getting any kind of enclosed trike licensed here are incredibly stringent. In case you thinking about it, I suggest you do some research first. I was really wanting to try and build a trike, a couple of years back, but gave up because I didn't think I could get one licensed. Building an unstable trike with a high CG, from a open motorcycle is not a problem. Build one low, stable and enclosed, you may have a hard time getting it licensed here.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:19 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
puddleglum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Red Deer, AB
Posts: 421

Rondo - '07 Kia Rondo EX
Last 3: 20.47 mpg (US)

Tinkertoy2 - '00 Toyota Echo base
Team Toyota
Last 3: 46.03 mpg (US)
Thanks: 39
Thanked 95 Times in 69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbill View Post
Something is wrong with this picture. Either you have oppressive "nanny-state" government or the big car manufactures have lobbied to cut out the little guy! 'Sorry, just sayin.
In addition to Federal mandates we have individual state rules in US concerning building trikes. Some states are very leanient while others are pretty strict. The strict ones are just protecting us from ourselves. Wouldn't want a bunch of creative crazy people running around on God knows what!
Well, I think the intent is to protect us from ourselves. It's just that there are a few regs. that really mess things up like the component restriction I mentioned already. Three wheeled motorcycles must be open and have a minimum seat height. There is a three wheeled vehicle class, but the regs. seem to be intended for a production car and require all the safety equipment and destructive test data that a manufacturer would have to comply with. I couldn't see any way around them for building a one off. I know there are a few trike projects (like zoltanbod) here in Canada. If I'm wrong on the regs. and there is a way to get a one off licensed, I'd love to have it explained to me.
__________________



Almost all my driving is done 1-5 miles at a time.
Best short trip: 2.4 l/100 km, 3.9 km
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:33 AM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Gresham, Or
Posts: 23
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: Building tadpole trike for street use

Dang! Sounds like they are specifically trying to curtail the building of custom 3-wheeled trikes with enclosed cabin! That sucks in several ways besides the obvious. Especially in a climate that can get pretty bad in winter. That is what the enclosed cabin is for! More riding, year round, in comfort! In essence they are grouping cabin scooters in with cars! If they categorize by the number of wheels, you could still build an enclosed two wheel motorcycle by cannibalizing a already titled and registered motorcycle, building a body around it, and installing out-riggers that can be retracted once going and balanced. Search google for "enclosed motorcycle" and you will get Acabion, ZeroTracer, the Teca, the MonoTracer, and others but my absolute fav is the Acabion! I like them so well I am still on the fence on which to build first, a trike or a feet-first enclosed MC! Attached is a picture of a Acabion. It's so fast there are not enough roads built for that kind of speed! Almost forgot, it's insanely expensive too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddleglum View Post
Well, I think the intent is to protect us from ourselves. It's just that there are a few regs. that really mess things up like the component restriction I mentioned already. Three wheeled motorcycles must be open and have a minimum seat height. There is a three wheeled vehicle class, but the regs. seem to be intended for a production car and require all the safety equipment and destructive test data that a manufacturer would have to comply with. I couldn't see any way around them for building a one off. I know there are a few trike projects (like zoltanbod) here in Canada. If I'm wrong on the regs. and there is a way to get a one off licensed, I'd love to have it explained to me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:05 AM   #19 (permalink)
chucitdlu
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
very nice

  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Tags
tadpole trike micro-car

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Human Petrol Recumbent Tadpole Trike --- Just finished. teknomage2012 Motorcycles / Scooters 9 06-23-2010 10:12 PM
125CC sufficient (for aerodynamic custom tadpole trike)? Christ Motorcycles / Scooters 88 12-27-2009 11:38 PM
Video: nice little recumbent tadpole trike MetroMPG Alternative Transportation 7 09-30-2009 01:30 AM
VW Trike bennelson Motorcycles / Scooters 5 11-24-2008 08:56 PM
JohnPR's oficial recumbent trike build thread johnpr Alternative Transportation 5 05-22-2008 01:50 AM



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com