View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 08:11 PM   #30 (permalink)
Sarobin
EcoModding Lurker

Frankensubie - '01 Subaru Forester
90 day: 23.12 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
Its because of your positive influence more than likely. AKA a safe environment to gradually become accustomed to it.

This I agree with to a point, but many women who seem interested in saving gas become rather offended once I start telling them where to learn and methods of doing so. AKA sometimes its worse than if I commented on their chest if that is any indication of the typical reaction I receive. I recall one woman asking at a workshop if she would receive a government rebate check if she drove closer to but still above the speed limit, otherwise she would never consider slowing down, she couldn't comprehend that $500 a year in fuel savings was just as good.

heck some people fly off the handle if they are told inflating their tires a few PSI more than 22psi would improve FE. (and it isn't just women but they seem to get more offended and seem to become more entrenched about anything that relates to ride quality or perceived safety) Men usually don't agree but don't become flaming mad either (with a couple exceptions)

I think all in all if the woman grew up around someone who was more energy conscience and had more of a lifestyle that would expose her to things like this she is less likely to become upset over it.

I also think income level and worldliness play a role, especially when growing up, but then again thats probably true of everyone independant of gender.
I've actually come across the same problem with forums - I enjoy reading, not so much posting, but some of my female friends lose complete interest if I recommend them to a source. They want the info right there, right then. I can somewhat understand; if I'm insecure about learning something on my own, Brucey can tell you, I get a bit pissy and demanding.

I also get a ton of heck about PSI - I keep mine about 48 (the tires go up to 50), and whether the persons ignorant or wise about cars, most people flip about how dangerous that is. I sometimes feel its a danger - when the roads are bad.

Last note I thought about - there is some prejudice in women's minds when it comes to cars - its still not uncommon to go to a mechanic and get swindled, talked down to, etc. I still expect it, even though I've had my share of wanting to throttle some women at my job (I sell motorcycle/atv parts online). I'm sure thats also keeping some gals wary if they have no initial education in automotives.