Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2011, 12:49 AM   #21 (permalink)
Learning Aeromodding

Metro - '93 Geo Metro 4 door hatchback
90 day: 35.26 mpg (US)
Cd,
I'm a girl, and I enjoy hypermiling! The better the MPG I get, the more I'm addicted to hypermiling! I also enjoy working on cars and getting all greasy! Sometimes I feel alone in my new found hobby. But I still have hope of finding another lady like me, in my area, that I can learn some things from, problem solve with, and just enjoy trading ideas or mechanic help.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-12-2011, 10:41 PM   #22 (permalink)
sid
EcoModding Apprentice

grayranger - '10 Ford Ranger XL 2 door supercab
90 day: 31.78 mpg (US)
You go, girls!

We need to figure out how to get more women to take this seriously. Of course, as was mentioned earlier, maybe many do take fuel economy seriously, but just don't post about it.

Band's latest song/music video "I Sing Along"
Old 02-15-2011, 09:31 AM   #23 (permalink)
Deadly Efficient

Olivia - '03 Pontiac Vibe base
90 day: 36.01 mpg (US)

R2-D2 - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.81 mpg (US)
So five, with a possible sixth. That's cool. About five more than I would have expected.
My wife also falls into the category of embracing a few mild techniques, but never posting here.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:28 PM   #24 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Women only care about what other women do or what men do to them, so it is unlikely either case will result in women being here in any positive light. Women also tend to be more easily offended by hypermiling hence my oppinion on the matter.

Unless we can induct an important woman to be here and actually make light of it?
Old 02-21-2011, 09:10 PM   #25 (permalink)
A madman

Pequod - '17 Subaru Outback
90 day: 22.79 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to brucey
My girlfriend enjoys hypermiling, she even asked for an ultragauge for christmas.

I think it mostly has something to do with her driving 80 miles a day, but I'll ask her if she can chime in sometime.

Personally, I don't think it's a gender thing as much as it's a gender thing to get on online forums and talk about. I'm sure many women would love to save gas, but how many have ever really thought "I bet there is a forum for that!"
Old 02-21-2011, 10:35 PM   #26 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucey View Post
My girlfriend enjoys hypermiling, she even asked for an ultragauge for christmas.
Its because of your positive influence more than likely. AKA a safe environment to gradually become accustomed to it.

Quote:
I think it mostly has something to do with her driving 80 miles a day, but I'll ask her if she can chime in sometime.

Personally, I don't think it's a gender thing as much as it's a gender thing to get on online forums and talk about. I'm sure many women would love to save gas, but how many have ever really thought "I bet there is a forum for that!"
This I agree with to a point, but many women who seem interested in saving gas become rather offended once I start telling them where to learn and methods of doing so. AKA sometimes its worse than if I commented on their chest if that is any indication of the typical reaction I receive. I recall one woman asking at a workshop if she would receive a government rebate check if she drove closer to but still above the speed limit, otherwise she would never consider slowing down, she couldn't comprehend that $500 a year in fuel savings was just as good.

heck some people fly off the handle if they are told inflating their tires a few PSI more than 22psi would improve FE. (and it isn't just women but they seem to get more offended and seem to become more entrenched about anything that relates to ride quality or perceived safety) Men usually don't agree but don't become flaming mad either (with a couple exceptions)

I think all in all if the woman grew up around someone who was more energy conscience and had more of a lifestyle that would expose her to things like this she is less likely to become upset over it.

I also think income level and worldliness play a role, especially when growing up, but then again thats probably true of everyone independant of gender.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:12 PM   #27 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Seems most of 'em place a very high value on "sitting up high" hence the SUV love affair. i've never been able to get a legit reason for that desire.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:23 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Seems most of 'em place a very high value on "sitting up high" hence the SUV love affair. i've never been able to get a legit reason for that desire.
I don't understand that either.

When replacing my wife's old Exploder, the number one requirement of the new car: she has to sit up high. And there was no compromise on this.

*sigh*

We ended up with an '04 Vue, 2WD 4cyl manual, which has been pretty decent on gas. With her driving (no thought toward driving efficiently) she's getting 20mpg around town and as much as 33 on the hwy.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
Old 02-22-2011, 08:03 PM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Frankensubie - '01 Subaru Forester
90 day: 23.12 mpg (US)
Lady here

Quote:

Heyo, this is Brucey's girlfriend. Before I met Brucey, I had no idea hyper-miling would save me so much money, and I knew very little about how to even hyper-mile. So honestly, I say its ignorance - men and women don't really talk about cars very often to each other, and if it was a male-started & dominated hobby, I don't think its gotten communicated over very much to the opposite gender.

I've talked to some women about it, but I get almost the same response as I do from men when it comes to their disinterest - they're in too much of a hurry, or they flat-out enjoy speed, or going 60-in-a-70 is ridiculous. There has been a few girls who looked at me with the deers-in-the-headlight look, but very few. I think the big problem is lack of shouting it out. Another problem might be time - most of my female friends have a thousand hobbies and the last thing they want to do is add another. I honestly also see very few women participate in forums - I myself am more of a reader than a poster.

I personally try to hyper-mile every day with techniques I know that work, but when it comes to what I do with my time, finding new techniques, testing ideas out, adding modifications to the car, or taking my pile of receipts and posting them get on the back burner.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sarobin For This Useful Post:
Cd (12-09-2011), rmay635703 (02-22-2011)
Old 02-22-2011, 08:11 PM   #30 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Frankensubie - '01 Subaru Forester
90 day: 23.12 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
Its because of your positive influence more than likely. AKA a safe environment to gradually become accustomed to it.

This I agree with to a point, but many women who seem interested in saving gas become rather offended once I start telling them where to learn and methods of doing so. AKA sometimes its worse than if I commented on their chest if that is any indication of the typical reaction I receive. I recall one woman asking at a workshop if she would receive a government rebate check if she drove closer to but still above the speed limit, otherwise she would never consider slowing down, she couldn't comprehend that $500 a year in fuel savings was just as good.

heck some people fly off the handle if they are told inflating their tires a few PSI more than 22psi would improve FE. (and it isn't just women but they seem to get more offended and seem to become more entrenched about anything that relates to ride quality or perceived safety) Men usually don't agree but don't become flaming mad either (with a couple exceptions)

I think all in all if the woman grew up around someone who was more energy conscience and had more of a lifestyle that would expose her to things like this she is less likely to become upset over it.

I also think income level and worldliness play a role, especially when growing up, but then again thats probably true of everyone independant of gender.
I've actually come across the same problem with forums - I enjoy reading, not so much posting, but some of my female friends lose complete interest if I recommend them to a source. They want the info right there, right then. I can somewhat understand; if I'm insecure about learning something on my own, Brucey can tell you, I get a bit pissy and demanding.

I also get a ton of heck about PSI - I keep mine about 48 (the tires go up to 50), and whether the persons ignorant or wise about cars, most people flip about how dangerous that is. I sometimes feel its a danger - when the roads are bad.

Last note I thought about - there is some prejudice in women's minds when it comes to cars - its still not uncommon to go to a mechanic and get swindled, talked down to, etc. I still expect it, even though I've had my share of wanting to throttle some women at my job (I sell motorcycle/atv parts online). I'm sure thats also keeping some gals wary if they have no initial education in automotives.

Reply  Post New Thread