View Single Post
Old 02-25-2011, 02:14 PM   #78 (permalink)
wdb
lurker's apprentice

PlainJane - '12 Toyota Tacoma Base 4WD Access Cab
90 day: 20.98 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SentraSE-R View Post
Gov. Walker & the Republican legislative majority in Wisconsin want to strip union rights from all state employees.
Uhmmm, actually, he targeted specific unions. State employees, teachers, yes. Police, firemen, no. Apparently only some unions' costs to the state are busting the budget, and only some unions' collective bargaining rights need to be curtailed to protect said budget in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
I'd like to know too. As I previously noted, due to a thing called "open enrollment", we are bussing kids not only within their districts, but to neighboring districts as well. I would imagine the annual U.S. school bus miles accrued has SKYROCKETED. And people wonder why schools cost so much...
Wasn't there a Supreme Court ruling about this? Something about what's good for the public school goose being good for the private/church/parochial school gander; i.e., if property taxes pay for a child in that district to be bussed, they have to pay for any child in that district to be bussed to whatever school they attend. I googled a bit and didn't find anything, but something like that sticks in my memory.