View Single Post
Old 02-28-2011, 04:50 PM   #42 (permalink)
PaleMelanesian
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin View Post
Your explanation has nothing to do with anything-
chevron (a company with a major history of anti anything not oil) holds majority share of NiMH battery pattens/ many company's have tried to buy rights to produce these batteries for electric cars/ Cheveron has said NO every single time even though many have tried.

This isn't marry magdalen in a grilled cheese sandwich this is monopolizing a market, Which by US law is illegal. They are breaking the law, end of story.
try using google to look at the track records of these company's, then defend them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid View Post
As I person who has a dozen patents, I need to remind you that patents expire. No patent is good for more than 20 years (17 years in US). They cannot be renewed. Once they expire, anyone can use the technology free of charge. If you don't use the patent, you lose money. A corporation probably wouldn't sit on a patent because they would lose a lot of money.
This one happens to be true. There's a reason today's hybrids are using the problematic many-little-batteries-strung-together format. They are unable to legally use larger NIMH's.

I know, it's Wikipedia, but with lots of external references.
Patent encumbrance of large automotive NiMH batteries - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The patents are due to expire soon, but advances in Li-Ion chemistries will make it largely irrelevant.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles