Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2011, 04:32 PM   #41 (permalink)
sid
EcoModding Apprentice

grayranger - '10 Ford Ranger XL 2 door supercab
90 day: 31.78 mpg (US)
As I person who has a dozen patents, I need to remind you that patents expire. No patent is good for more than 20 years (17 years in US). They cannot be renewed. Once they expire, anyone can use the technology free of charge. If you don't use the patent, you lose money. A corporation probably wouldn't sit on a patent because they would lose a lot of money.

Band's latest song/music video "I Sing Along"
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-28-2011, 04:50 PM   #42 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin View Post
Your explanation has nothing to do with anything-
chevron (a company with a major history of anti anything not oil) holds majority share of NiMH battery pattens/ many company's have tried to buy rights to produce these batteries for electric cars/ Cheveron has said NO every single time even though many have tried.

This isn't marry magdalen in a grilled cheese sandwich this is monopolizing a market, Which by US law is illegal. They are breaking the law, end of story.
try using google to look at the track records of these company's, then defend them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid View Post
As I person who has a dozen patents, I need to remind you that patents expire. No patent is good for more than 20 years (17 years in US). They cannot be renewed. Once they expire, anyone can use the technology free of charge. If you don't use the patent, you lose money. A corporation probably wouldn't sit on a patent because they would lose a lot of money.
This one happens to be true. There's a reason today's hybrids are using the problematic many-little-batteries-strung-together format. They are unable to legally use larger NIMH's.

I know, it's Wikipedia, but with lots of external references.
Patent encumbrance of large automotive NiMH batteries - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The patents are due to expire soon, but advances in Li-Ion chemistries will make it largely irrelevant.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
Old 03-01-2011, 12:51 PM   #43 (permalink)
dude...wait...what?

Diesel Rx-7 - '82 Mazda Rx-7 GSL

merc 300d - '82 Mercedes-benz 300d dt

b2200 diesel - '84 Mazda b2200 D
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid View Post
yes they end but not till 2015- between 2003 and then you'd be unable to find a single battery sold by chevron that could be used in an EV- several company's have tried suing them to try and purchase batteries but no luck-
Even the inventor Stanford R. Ovshinsky said in an interview
"I think we at ECD made a mistake of having a joint venture with an oil company, frankly speaking. And I think it's not a good idea to go into business with somebody whose strategies would put you out of business, rather than building the business."

The Energy Roadmap - The Edison of our Age: Stan Ovshinsky and the Future of Energy [Video Interview Part 1]
interview-

All veggie, all the time!
Old 03-01-2011, 01:04 PM   #44 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
Too true. This article details the demise of electric trains in the Bay Area.
Quote:
There was also another player in the demise of the Key System and other city railways nationwide: General Motors. Between 1936 and 1950 General Motors, along with Firestone and Standard Oil of California, bought out electric train systems in nearly 50 cities—including Los Angeles, New York, Detroit and St. Louis—through a holding company called National City Lines, and replaced those trains with buses.

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg
Old 12-19-2018, 08:25 AM   #45 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,802 Posts
I remember hearing something that drilling won't lower oil prices, we can't drill our way to energy independence, it will take 10 years to bring the oil to market.

Well the other day I checked oil prices and they were $47 per barrel and the United States is an oil exporter for the first time in 75 years.
Oh and we reduced our plant food emissions in 2016 and 2017.
27 states have stations under $2 a gallon.
Good thing no one listened to the nay sayers.

Last edited by oil pan 4; 12-19-2018 at 09:14 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to oil pan 4 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (12-22-2018)
Old 12-20-2018, 12:22 PM   #46 (permalink)
Thalmaturge

The Tinyvan - '07 Honda Fit Sport

Spicy Italian - '13 Fiat 500 Abarth

eBike - '94 Trek Mountain Track 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian View Post
This one happens to be true. There's a reason today's hybrids are using the problematic many-little-batteries-strung-together format. They are unable to legally use larger NIMH's.

I know, it's Wikipedia, but with lots of external references.
Patent encumbrance of large automotive NiMH batteries - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The patents are due to expire soon, but advances in Li-Ion chemistries will make it largely irrelevant.
They're using many smaller NiMH cells strung together instead of fewer, larger-format cells because NiMH has a low cell voltage (~1.2V nominal). Using larger cells wouldn't get you more voltage, just more Ah. This could deliver more amps, but then you would need increasingly huge conductors everywhere to deliver any reasonable amount of power. Which makes everything FAR more expensive.

For instance, a gen 2 prius has 168 6.5 Ah cells in a series making 201.6V. That's a 1.3kwh pack. It can pull about 28kw from that pack. That's 139A (peak, though).

Now say you have 65Ah large format NiMH readily available (10x the capacity in one cell!), so you put in 1.5kwh of those for the same weight and volume (it's slightly larger since you don't have as much packaging/interconnect). Now you have a 19 cell, 22.8V traction pack. That pack is going to have to deliver over 1200A peak. Those conductors will be huge, that motor is going to be huge, and all that mass of copper is going to cost $$$. A low voltage pack is only economical for mild hybrids. IIRC Hyundai sold one for a couple years in Europe with a 48v pack, but it could just supply a bit of motor assist and stop/start functionality.
Old 12-22-2018, 05:19 PM   #47 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SentraSE-R
Too true. This article details the demise of electric trains in the Bay Area.
See wikipedia.org:General_Motors_streetcar_conspiracy

Not just there. oregonencyclopedia.org:Oregon Electric Railway

Quote:
The Oregon Electric’s 122-mile Willamette Valley route was Oregon’s longest electric interurban railway, and many of its trains served Portland suburbs. A dozen trains a day catered to commuters, students, and shoppers in Hillsboro, Forest Grove, Beaverton, Wilsonville, and Tualatin. On weekends, reduced-fare excursions operated between Portland and Salem. Four to five trains ran through to Eugene each day.
Somewhere I have a copy of Oregon Times that tells the story. The Oregon Eelctric line was operating in the black when a consortium bought it and stacked up and burnt the rolling stock.

Quote:
To compete with major steam railroads, the Oregon Electric ordered the highest quality interurban cars available.... Rolling stock included combination baggage, smoking, and passenger motorcars; observation-buffet cars; and elegant passenger trailers. For a few years, there were also specially built interurban sleeping cars.

Old 12-22-2018, 05:32 PM   #48 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
I remember hearing something that drilling won't lower oil prices, we can't drill our way to energy independence, it will take 10 years to bring the oil to market.

Well the other day I checked oil prices and they were $47 per barrel and the United States is an oil exporter for the first time in 75 years.
I thought we fracked ourselves there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 12-22-2018, 05:34 PM   #49 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
I thought we fracked ourselves there.
As Obama said, "the ends justify the means".
Old 12-22-2018, 05:47 PM   #50 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,222 Times in 4,649 Posts
oil prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post

You may remember back to October,1973,when West Texas intermediate crude was selling for $2.90 a barrel at the wellhead,and Saudi crude was selling for 25-cents a barrel.

For many decades, thanks to OPEC,the selling price has had absolutely nothing to do with the cost of production,plus a reasonable margin of profit.

And with corporate taxes down now,businesses can afford to lower prices and make the same profit margin.