View Single Post
Old 02-28-2011, 10:22 PM   #110 (permalink)
Thymeclock
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
lets face it, I wasn't even trying to hide my bias, this thread was to vent frustration, over what I view as being a very terrible, unfortunate and hopeless situation.
I respect your honesty. But there are two sides to every political battle, and that is what this is. Just as you see this as "a very terrible, unfortunate and hopeless situation" the opposition sees it as a way to rectify a longstanding, overdue problem (which they would describe as entrenched corruption, greed, government collusion with unions, overpayment and bloat). They now hold the political advantage, and your "side" has not seen the total loss of that in so long that it is unpalatable to them.

Quote:
That doesn't explain why a large number all of a sudden do not support his latest tactics.
That is the best spin that the opposition of the Left can manage to promote; in fact that is the only point on which they can focus upon which approaches "overreaching". Eventually you may realize that this is how all politics and negotiation works: When you have the advantage of a position of strength you demand more than you know you can get and then you compromise, accordingly. Therefore, when you have political momentum behind you, you strive to get more than you thought was attainable, hoping to get lucky and get the whole enchilada. This is the nature of ALL politics. Those who do not play the game effectively lose.

Unions used to understand how to negotiate in this manner. If they forgot how, due to their automatically getting whatever they wanted for decades without much effort, it shows how fat, bloated and incompetent they have become.

Quote:
Yes, its too bad independents couldn't win, sadly the system more or less prevents that possibility 47 times out of 48. A more euro voting method would allow greater numbers of parties. That view is wrong though, because obviously there are only liberals who are liberal on every regard or conservatives who are conservative on every regard.
You voice the view that more choice of political parties is "wrong". All that tells us is that you are afraid that more voters will utilize those choices and make for a more unpredictable future. Fortunately for your view, America is essentially a two party system. Big business and mobsters both love it: there are only two sides on which anyone can bet - and they usually fund both parties, calling in their favors of political capital after the election, no matter which side is elected.

Quote:
My side hasn't yet won more than a couple elections though over a period of decades and I'm not sure they are really left in every way.
You identify yourself with a "side". Yours is obviously that of the Left, since you advocate a two party system and nothing else. What will happen when you realize that the political party you have been loyally supporting is no longer acting in your best interests?

Quote:
The people that most belong in politics would never run.
No, all politicians aspire to run because they seek power. Those of us who eschew wielding power have no interest in becoming politicians.

“In order to become the master, the politician poses as the servant.” - Charles de Gaulle