View Single Post
Old 03-01-2011, 06:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
COcyclist
Aero Wannabe

TDi - '04 VW Golf
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 53.2 mpg (US)
Ben, I commute by bicycle down to minus 32. The right outer clothes are key. I have found a ski helmet with a thin liner and a fleece "neck gaiter" and ski goggles keep the frostbite off my face. Some goggles are designed to go over glasses. I keep the fleece pulled up just below my nose and don't have problems with fogging. I have a cheapie imitation L.L. Bean jacket with a fleece liner that zips into a nylon outer shell. If it warms up I can take the liner out for the trip home. I use heavy ski gloves with a long gauntlet and those go inside custom "pogies" that fit over the handlebar grips, shifters and brake levers. They were a little pricey but it is nice to have warm hands in sub-zero temps. I will try to find a link to the stretch, breathable, insulated pants I pull on over my school clothes. Hope this helps. If you get serious, studded knobby tires rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. Mechanical friction increases as the square, so increasing speed requires progressively more power.